CBR1100XX.org Forum

anybody able to identify this

cecome

Looks like the options it provides would only be lower the ride height. Does anyone on here know how it would relate to steering input? His Bird is very resistant to steering input. Next time I see Cecome we will be checking sag, head bearings/tighness, fork position in clamps probably be adding a shim to the top of the shock----any other suggestions?

Thanks, happy trails, kel

Lowering the rear will slow the steering. One "mod" to lower the rear is to use the stock holes but rotate those triangular plates 120 degrees- drops the rear about an inch, IIRC. If you've got your XX there, try to make sure those plates are in the stock position and check the rear ride height.

That doesn't appear to be a stock XX spring- is it a stock XX shock? Check the length if it isn't.

Also, check the tires. Condition and pressure can both significantly affect steering effort.

Makes me think more and more this Bird was drag raced.

Lowered susp

Changed shock-did you by chance notice a stiff ride? May be hd spring or set at low rebound?

Low comp-possible turbo pistons

Any bits of rubber stuck to that shock still?

Any marks on the top caliper mount bolts where tie-down straps might have been?

Not that drag racing is a bad thing :icon_evilgrin:

Thanks Guys,

Mine has the stock sideplates in the stock position, but with the Wilburs shock with built in 6mm extension---but I can meaure the fully extended height to give us an idea of where its at. I'll also make a template of the bolt locations in the stock plate so we can check that against what his plates are.

He has Pilot Roads, very good condtion, and he said front set at 38psi cold. I've run the Roads on mine and they seemed to steer well at those pressures.

I think the rear shock is stock but it does have a HyperPro spring on it. Rebound was a bit slow compared to the front.

Cecome and I went for our 1st ride and near the end I took his for a little test run and then we had to return to our respective homes due to other commitments and didn't have time to check the sag or make any adjustments. That will be next.

As for any rubber being on from previous owner---not a chance--Cecome has that Bird detailed so you would think it's only been ridden around in show rooms-----really is a nice looking Bird.

Again, thanks------will report back when more information gathered----happy trails, kel

Lowering the rear will slow the steering. One "mod" to lower the rear is to use the stock holes but rotate those triangular plates 120 degrees- drops the rear about an inch, IIRC. If you've got your XX there, try to make sure those plates are in the stock position and check the rear ride height.

That doesn't appear to be a stock XX spring- is it a stock XX shock? Check the length if it isn't.

Also, check the tires. Condition and pressure can both significantly affect steering effort.

Stock shock with hyperpro spring on it.

RedBird----thanks for mentioning the bit about some turning the plate for a height drop. I have only seen the picture he posted here, but in looking at mine the top bolt (nearest the wheel) is definetly left of bottom one. In the posted picture of his, the top seems to be to the right of the bottom one. Might be camera angle but at this point I don't think so----will check that for sure.

Partsman, it did seem the ride was a little stiff to me, but Cecome's riding weight is about 40lbs more than mine---and he has a Corbin which after riding the ST all day felt like a well shaped rock. That is not a praise of stock Honda seats---it's just that we were in the canyon all day and I slide around a lot when 'playing', but when I slab on it or my Bird, after a couple of hours--the stock seats are torture, plain and simple.

Thanks again----happy trails, kel