CBR1100XX.org Forum

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

JohanC

Recently my 2004 Blackbird developed a rattling noise at approx. 3 000rpm.Having done some research on the topic, the conclusion was evident that the CCT is saying good-bye and needs to be replaced. To my surprise not only does Honda South Africa (where i live) have't stock of these CCT's, but the cost thereof is close to R 1 000.00. (close to 150 dollars). Their response was that i should deposit the required funds after which they will import the CCT from Japan, at a time phase not sure of.

Obviuosly i needed the CCT like in immediately therefore i started to shop around for the permanent one of which i mange to locate but again at a cost of

R 850.00 (130 dollars).

Looking at the pictures of a permanent CCT it struck me that this in fact an straigtforward design which can be coppied using the "old" CCT as body. I did proceed with the idea and did the following:

Remove the old CCT from the bike

Remove the circlip keeping the whole contraption together

Once removed, let all the parts loose and remove it from the body of the CCT. These should be a hair spring, helix, tube, plunger and the circlip. Also remove the dust skrew on the rear of the CCT 6mm treat.

I then took a 6mm treaded high tesion steel rod, approximately 30cm (12 inches) in lenght and slowly fed it through the rear of the CCT body by actually turning it in on the tread of the dust skrew which was removed.

Once the steel rod is fed through to a lenght more or less the total lengs of the plunger when unwind, fit the plunger over the steel rod and dispose of the spring, helix and tube.

Put the plunger back in the original position and re-use the same cirlip to hold it in place.

When trying to re-fit the "manual" CCT in the bike, it was obviuos that the plunger part is extended to far, thus making the fitment impossible. By turning the steel rod anti clock wise, the plunger retracted and could the CCT now be fitted as originally.

I did manage to saw a vertical slot in the back ob the steel rod, thus it can now be turned in or out with a flat skrewdriver which make the actual setting thereof so much easier.

Once in place, i did turn the metal rod clockwise until i could feel the plunger has made contact with the camchain guide. Upon starting the bike, it still sounded loose and by adjusting it to a point where the tension is enough to keep it in contact with camchain guide with presure, the noise dissapeared and the motor is running quietely and definately less noisy.

I finished off the CCT by fitting a skrew and locknut on the rear of the CCT, after i trimmed the rod to an acceptable lengh at the rear, which now keep the plunger at a spesific presure on the camchain guide.

The whole project did take up about an hour of my time, but definately the time and cost worth. The metal rod (6mm) cost me R 12 (less than 2 dollars) and now i've got a permanent fix.

Hope this info means something for somebody out there,

Greeting from South Africa,

Johan

however, you could have bought one for a LOT less than the prices you were quoted

+1 From what I've seen posted by others including brianmacza, getting anything in SA is a lottery and costs a fortune :icon_surprised:

+1 From what I've seen posted by others including brianmacza, getting anything in SA is a lottery and costs a fortune :icon_surprised:

+2

I had to stop shipping to South Africa due to the poor odds of arrival (lottery)

50% of the time items are never delivered or returned in my experiences

however, you could have bought one for a LOT less than the prices you were quoted

You have NO idea... an OE headlamp for the XX for example is close to US$900 here... a set of complete mirrors (left and right with brackets and mirror and housing, rubbers and so forth) is about US$750 - the CARBON FIBRE units from Japan are pretty much half that. And look prettier. And get here quicker.

Honda South Africa sucks donkey cock in my opinion... the title of "stealer" is well earned.