CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carbon Dash for Pre 2001 Birds

I've just had made a limited production run of carbon fibre instrument surrounds / dashboards for pre 2001 model blackbirds.... i.e. analogue instruments.

Got fed up with their not being any on the market, so designed my own and found a local company to make them

This one is genuine carbon fibre, hand made in England.

A particularly pleasing weave and self adhesive with very strong glue (removable).

Looks great. Carbon reservoir covers and yoke protector in the same weave pattern coming soon.

Currently on UK E Bay...

Honda Blackbird CBR 1100XX Carbon Dash / Clock Surround on eBay (end time 05-Dec-10 16:11:15 GMT)

However, can Mail directly to UK, US or elsewhere.

Payment by Paypal. Despatch with 9 days (waiting for first batch after prototype which is on my bike now.) later versions will be despatched within 24 hours.

Happy to e-mail close up pics - please PM me and let me know your e-mail. No problem answering any other questions you might have....

£34.99 in UK Free Shipping.

$48.99 dollars US plus $14.99 shipping.

Price is higher than I would have liked due to limited run. Reservoir caps will be around £15 UK each ($26 ) and Yokes £11.99 UK ($ 16.99) - estimate prices as the moment.post-71082-1289321700.jpg

Close up of item on bike is a MK III - latest version is MK IV - slightly longer shot - has extended bottom piece as this looks neater close up.

post-71082-1289321724.jpg

post-71082-1289321988.jpg

Nice looking stuff, thanks for offering it to us over here. Any thoughts on making Carbon covers for 2001 and newer?

Please post when the resevoir covers and yoke covers are available!

Last question, who makes your bars?

Nice. These guys sell the factory honda ones over there.http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/doblehonda/. I got mine from them. Not real though. But formed and for both dashes. Looks good. Wish you would have yours made like the factory one is made. but from real CF. Have the yoke too.

Hi Guys,

The Bars are by Gilles (trade name over here is Gilles Vario Bars). Multi-adjustable in several planes and with risers ranging from 50-100 mm.

Perfect for the Bird, because you can get them just as you like them, and the action brings them back as well as up. No need for new lines until over 50mm.

Pricey though - about £325 - I guess that must be in the $500 dollar range...

It would be nice to mould carbon, but its not an easy or cheap process with complex items (even Honda use plastic, not real carbon, as you know).

For items like the dash, reservoir covers and yoke, moulded parts are not that important though, IMHO, for the following reason.

With the heavily raked back screen, the cockpit of the Blackbird is fairly cramped and a two-dimensional carbon cover looks just fine. If the clocks were more exposed it would be a different story, but as it is, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looks at what is a relatively low price.

Will let everyone know when the other bits are ready. :icon_biggrin:

Dave

Just a quick update. :icon_naughty:

It is, it turns out, indeed possible to produce all items in the same (glorious) weave style as the dash (see photos above in earlier post). So I will soon (about a week) be able to offer reservoir covers, yoke covers and the dash all matching. Could do a good deal for anyone wanting the set. Will have a price in a day or two.

I can't emphasise enough that this is real carbon and a very attractive weave - quite thick with good depth of reflectiveness - looks almost bluish at certain angles. Sooo different from plastic; miles better.

Will be looking at parts from the rest of the bike soon, including heel plates and frame plugs.

The Bird is a great bike, but as mine has got older (10 years young now) the plastic inevitably looks old and a bit tired.

Cheers :icon_thumbsup:

Dave

No Problem Tox.

Here's another pic of the dash too.

post-71082-1289398881.jpg

The res. covers and yoke thingy will be in this weave pattern, not the one's shown in the the other pictures posted earlier - these were early versions.

In the end all I'm trying to do is to get some bits for myself, and if it helps further the cause of keeping the Blackbird looking young and interesting, sharing a few around. Just want to cover costs really, rather than embark on some grand business enterprise. I just enjoy tinkering, is the truth.

Ride safe

Dave

Some good news.

The guys making the parts have re-calculated and it seems we can do the dash for quite a lot less (they were pricing for the wrong carbon sheet)

I have also now had more accurate shipping costs. Overall a significant reduction in price.

Dash Costs will now therefore be:

£29.99 in UK plus £ 3.99 Shipping.

$45 dollars US plus $14.99 shipping.

Cheers :icon_biggrin:

Dave

No Problem Tox.

Here's another pic of the dash too.

post-71082-1289398881.jpg

The res. covers and yoke thingy will be in this weave pattern, not the one's shown in the the other pictures posted earlier - these were early versions.

In the end all I'm trying to do is to get some bits for myself, and if it helps further the cause of keeping the Blackbird looking young and interesting, sharing a few around. Just want to cover costs really, rather than embark on some grand business enterprise. I just enjoy tinkering, is the truth.

Ride safe

Dave

whats that hanging off the left hand rear view mirror?

and whats that attached to the ignition switch?

inquiring minds want to know............

I think he might be referring to the plastic rocker attached at the 12 O'clock position above your ignition switch? It says "Hi", and the rest is unreadable.

I suspect it has something to do with parking lights, which we don't have over here.....

I think he might be referring to the plastic rocker attached at the 12 O'clock position above your ignition switch? It says "Hi", and the rest is unreadable.

I suspect it has something to do with parking lights, which we don't have over here.....

That is the HISS "Honda Ignition Security System" anti theft over the pond.

Dear Enquiring Minds,

1. Front LED driving light (not hanging off, Pair properly fitted!)

2. Carbon

Dave

interesting that I find the driving lights on the US models annoying and have disconnected them.

do you have the wiring diagrams for the US versions? could probably scrounge up the parts so you could convert the indicators so they don't look like somethings hanging off them.

oh and ..........whats that wee lever on the front of the switch pod on the left handle bar?

whats that orange thing stuck to your windshield?

:icon_biggrin:

oh and ..........whats that wee lever on the front of the switch pod on the left handle bar?

whats that orange thing stuck to your windshield?

:icon_biggrin:

That wee lever is the flash2pass button found on the Euro Blackbirds.....

[Hi,

Interesting idea re lights...however, I'm quite happy with how they look. I set out to make the 'ultimate' (!) tourer, or at least one to my own satisfaction, rather than a pretty sports type bike. There are also LEDS picking out the further points of the fairing. Sadly, in the UK we have high traffic levelness and collisions are all too common. A friend had both legs broken last year, and I don;t want to go the same way. So far the effect is amazing. everyone gets out of the way..... (Could it be I wonder because one central pair of LEDs are blue?!)....

The orange thing is just a manufacturers logo.

There are few other bits: - indicator bleeper, stainless steel Yoke nut (with CBR insert), chrome fork caps, Temp / ice warning / clock / voltmeter, gear indicator and of course heated grips. Steel brake lines also fitted, plus overhaul of callipers, new discs and pads, longer front fork springs, re-built rear shock with oil over oil, scottolier, gel seat, Gilles vario-bars with 60mm risers, stubby alloy levers (ML), frame plugs, carbon hugger, carbon dash, carbon res covers, carbon tank protector and fuel filler, fake carbon yoke protector (soon to go when my own real carbon one is ready), front light protector, Kappa full luggage with high level brake light and rubber seat back for pillion, lowered pillion pegs, additional side grab handles , R and G bar ends, Shrooms, Gold rad and oil cooler guards, gold fairing vent mesh, new radiator, new tyres, new chain and sprockets and half a hundred other things.

Nearly ready to tour now. Improvement over stock in terms of ride and braking is impressive. Just going to uprate power output of generator and capacity of battery and fit HID.

I used to have an FJR, but, although comfy it was just not quick enough and was a bit top heavy.

Bird now does it all, and I wish I'd had one earlier..

To Ireland next year..

Love to try it on American roads though... :icon_evilgrin:

Very nice Bird. Let's see a photo of the whole bike.

Thanks.

I've been adding quite a few bits, so haven't got any up to date pics as am waiting for some sunshine... Hopefully will be able to take and post some tomorrow..

In meantime... here is the front end lighting...post-71082-1289664540.jpg

Yet to add HID!!

Might look like Blackpool Illuminations but it does seem to stop people pulling out at junctions (I've also noticed that some drivers slow down or pull over....

Dave.

Wow! Those are bright. I have HIDs in the high and low beams, don't know how I ever rode without them. HIDs are so cheap now there is no reason not to buy them!

This is where a lot of us have bought our HID kits

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categorie...ghting/HID-Kits