CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another question on fork spacers and springs

spicholy

I just received a set of 1.0kg/mm fork springs from Redbird. I am in the process of installing them and have two questions.

#1 I removed the fork cap from the left fork. The cap came right off. It was not attached to the damper rod. I have no idea how long it has been like that. No wonder the front end was rough over bumps. Did this do damage to either of the dampers not having it attached to the cap?

#2 The "new" springs are 1.5" longer than the stock ones. I can not get the cap screwed onto the damper rod. Do I have to cut the spacer tube down by 1.5" to compensate?

TIA

Yes, cut the spacer down. Depending on how much you weigh you might want to start with a total length (spring + spacer) a little longer than stock- you can always cut more off, the reverse is not true. This is where the XX's lack of preload adjusters is a PITA- you have to put it all together, check sag, then take it all apart again if you need to adjust.

The disconnected damper rod-- that's pretty fucked up. I can't see how it would have damaged anything, though. The tops of the rod probably just sat halfway down the forks doing nothing...

The disconnected damper rod-- that's pretty fucked up. I can't see how it would have damaged anything, though. The tops of the rod probably just sat halfway down the forks doing nothing...

It's also possible that the rod was still connected but loose and when it was unscrewed it undid off the rod :icon_think:

When I replaced my springs one of the caps was screwed down lower on the rod than the other :icon_surprised:

It's also possible that the rod was still connected but loose and when it was unscrewed it undid off the rod :icon_think:

When I replaced my springs one of the caps was screwed down lower on the rod than the other :icon_surprised:

True. The real pain is getting that rod tightened into the cap and then raising the tube up to screw in the cap. Do it wrong and I don't doubt it will work loose in time.