CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shinko's

LogoMan

Hate to ask but....has anyone ever run these? Are they OK or do you pay for what you get?

I used them went through three or so sets. I had no problems with them, on one ride back from Tn sto NY we got caught in torrential rain for the last 8 hours, the shinkos never let go even at unsafe speed in the water.

over all i was happy with them.

2 cents

Hate to ask but....has anyone ever run these? Are they OK or do you pay for what you get?

I used them went through three or so sets. I had no problems with them, on one ride back from Tn sto NY we got caught in torrential rain for the last 8 hours, the shinkos never let go even at unsafe speed in the water.

2 cents

Which model did you have?

2 cents

Which model did you have?

the 09 raven

Put a set of 009 Ravens on my Hayabusa a few months back. Could not be happier with them, they grip incredibly well (hard to believe that they are sold as a sport-touring tire)

If it's any indication, I had to get after-market risers to stop my boots from dragging, that's how confident I am with the Ravens in the twisties.

Apparently people are getting close to 10K miles with them.

They have an exceptionally high wet weather rating (that I can vouch for).

The only thing that takes a little getting used to is that their turn in is a little slower than for example a Metzeler M3, plus the bikes rolls into corners more easily with them.

$175 shipped off eBay, they are the ONLY tires I'll be buying going forward! ThumbsUp.gif

I used a set of 005's a couple of years ago, were ~$70AUD a set cheaper than the Michi PPf/PRr combo but the rear was shot at ~6500km's compared to the PR's 10 000km's :icon_think: The fronts lasted ~ the same # of km's (13000) but were slower to turn in than the PP's, also they didn't feel as confident when cold as the PP/PR combo so went back to PP/PR2's and the extra mileage of the rear cancels the cheaper price :icon_biggrin:

I put one set one and the only issue I had was that the rear tire took ALOT of weights . Other than tha the tire where good for the price as a set.

My front Raven took a few weights, my rear needed nothing.

You feel the Ravens stick really well with the 'Busa's power or are you gentle with rolling on the power out of corners? They sound similar to the Pirelli Diablo Strada's that I used to run on the rear and those stuck pretty good for being a harder compound. Nothing like the M3's I have on there now, though. Apples and oranges, I know.

I know the roads you ride, so if you say the Ravens are good tires for those roads, they'd be more than adequate here I think.

Ever tried the "stickier" tires in the Shinko lineup? The Verge and the Apex?

You feel the Ravens stick really well with the 'Busa's power or are you gentle with rolling on the power out of corners?

I'm sorta thinking the same, as I had the 005 "Advance" on mine and could get the back to slide around under power especially when cold whereas the PR2 rears just stick :icon_confused:

Quite a few guys over east were using the 003 Stealth's and were quite rapt in them (hence why I tried them) and they were very cheap but after talking to the local tyre guy he seemed to reckon they were very soft and wouldn't last with the riding I was doing :icon_think: The extra wear and they weren't nearly as cheap over here in Perth was why I didn't use them again :icon_wall:

You feel the Ravens stick really well with the 'Busa's power or are you gentle with rolling on the power out of corners? They sound similar to the Pirelli Diablo Strada's that I used to run on the rear and those stuck pretty good for being a harder compound. Nothing like the M3's I have on there now, though. Apples and oranges, I know.

I know the roads you ride, so if you say the Ravens are good tires for those roads, they'd be more than adequate here I think.

I don't hammer the bike out of the corners, I don't exactly want $150+ Hp going sideways on me! But I will say that I have M3s on the Blackbird and Ravens on the Busa and when the M3s wear out, I'll be replacing them with Ravens also.

Haven't tried the stickier Shinkos, don't really have a need, I really want a sporty touring tire that will last me a good while.

You feel the Ravens stick really well with the 'Busa's power or are you gentle with rolling on the power out of corners?

I'm sorta thinking the same, as I had the 005 "Advance" on mine and could get the back to slide around under power especially when cold whereas the PR2 rears just stick :icon_confused:

Quite a few guys over east were using the 003 Stealth's and were quite rapt in them (hence why I tried them) and they were very cheap but after talking to the local tyre guy he seemed to reckon they were very soft and wouldn't last with the riding I was doing :icon_think: The extra wear and they weren't nearly as cheap over here in Perth was why I didn't use them again :icon_wall:

The stealth is a soft compound tire used a lot at drag strips, good I'm sure, but on the other end of the spectrum from the Ravens.

I just put a 009 raven on the rear for 92.00 because the front is a raven and looks better than good. I wanted to change to Michlem RP2 but I was looking @ the excess of 250.00 to do it. So simple math came into play. I am pleased with the ride and handling. Put 700 miles on them over the past week. They do hold the road well. I do not think they are as good as other brands but for the value it would be hard for me not to recommend them. Ron

The stealth is a soft compound tire used a lot at drag strips, good I'm sure, but on the other end of the spectrum from the Ravens.

Yeah, hence why I went with the 005's, was worried they would wear out way too quick :icon_surprised: Also wasn't too sure about the lack of rain grooves seeing as I ride in all sorts of weather :icon_rolleyes:

Put a set of the Raven 009's on this past week based on a couple recommendations I got. The first 200 miles they took some getting used to especially the profile as mentioned. I did do a 500 mile trip to Yosemite and back on some pretty techinical twisties and only didn't have a single slip. They are a great deal for the money and seem to be getting better as I put some more miles on them.

Put a set of the Raven 009's on this past week based on a couple recommendations I got. The first 200 miles they took some getting used to especially the profile as mentioned. I did do a 500 mile trip to Yosemite and back on some pretty techinical twisties and only didn't have a single slip. They are a great deal for the money and seem to be getting better as I put some more miles on them.

I'd have to agree, I liked mine for the first week, but loved them after that !

The funny thing is I alternate between my 3 bikes all the time and it has taken me some time to get used to transitioning between the bikes. The one thing I can say for sure is that the Michelin Pilots on my VFR800 absolutely suck in comparison, I really regret buying them.

The funny thing is I alternate between my 3 bikes all the time and it has taken me some time to get used to transitioning between the bikes. The one thing I can say for sure is that the Michelin Pilots on my VFR800 absolutely suck in comparison, I really regret buying them.

Which "Pilots"....power, Road, Road2? I love the pilot powers....just wore out too soon. Pilot Road 2s are nice too. Just ordered a set of the Shinko 009s for the XX...about $185 shipped off Ebay.

Which "Pilots"....power, Road, Road2? I love the pilot powers....just wore out too soon. Pilot Road 2s are nice too. Just ordered a set of the Shinko 009s for the XX...about $185 shipped off Ebay.

Powers, rode in on them again this morning, THEY SUCK !!!! I can't wait to get rid of them. I was hoping to just ride it out, but I might actually break down and pull them off early (which I have never done with any other tire before)

Powers, rode in on them again this morning, THEY SUCK !!!! I can't wait to get rid of them. I was hoping to just ride it out, but I might actually break down and pull them off early (which I have never done with any other tire before)

What don't you like about them? The Powers are, even still, some of the best tires going...

Mike

What don't you like about them? The Powers are, even still, some of the best tires going...

Mike

Well if it were just one set of tires on one bike, then I'd write it off to something else, but my Blackbird came with Pilot Powers with about 80% tread on them and I just assumed that the instability in corners was a Blackbird trait. Then I put M3s on the Blackbird and had to completely re-think my view of the Blackbird. In comparison the M3s will track very smoothly and predictably in a corner, but the Pilots tend to dart around on me. Then I got the Shinko Ravens on the Hayabusa and was very impressed, have not stopped raving about them since. My project VFR had M1s on it when I got it, they had about 40% remaining tread and weren't very confidence inspiring. I saw an ad in the local craigslist for a set of Pilots that a guy had taken of his CBR600 after about 2 weeks of use because he scored some other crazy deal. Picked them both up for ~$110 and had them fitted to the VFR800. I had all but forgotten about the problems I had on the bird till I went into the first corner and was instantly reminded of that twitchyness and unstable track. I have probably put about 600 miles in daily commutes on them since and I still notice it every time I ride.

Well,instability and twitchyness also means quick, direct steering. I`m pretty sure you`ll find someone on the internet who will complain about M3`s being "truck tire",slow to turn fairly unresponsive .It all depends.

Personally as far as the tires go, I don`t pay attention to the opinions on the internet whatsoever.There is wild variety of riding styles and,most important,skill sets.

In any case it is easier and cheaper to adopt the riding style to the rubber then endlessly search for the "perfect" tire.

I`ve had Pilot Powers on my R1 for quite along now,they are on my street rims.They work just fine in this riding environment,heck,I even did trackday on those in intermediate conditions( rain/dry),could not find anything wrong with them.

You probably just don`t like,or don`t feel comfortable with quick steering rubber but that does not mean those kind of tires suck.

Some people may actually like them.

BTW,have you checked and corrected suspension settings ( ride heights) when you switch brands and types of tires ?

Just because it says 120/70, etc, it does not mean they are of the same diameter and consequently same rake angle and trail.

Well,instability and twitchyness also means quick, direct steering. I`m pretty sure you`ll find someone on the internet who will complain about M3`s being "truck tire",slow to turn fairly unresponsive .It all depends.

Personally as far as the tires go, I don`t pay attention to the opinions on the internet whatsoever.There is wild variety of riding styles and,most important,skill sets.

In any case it is easier and cheaper to adopt the riding style to the rubber then endlessly search for the "perfect" tire.

I`ve had Pilot Powers on my R1 for quite along now,they are on my street rims.They work just fine in this riding environment,heck,I even did trackday on those in intermediate conditions( rain/dry),could not find anything wrong with them.

You probably just don`t like,or don`t feel comfortable with quick steering rubber but that does not mean those kind of tires suck.

Some people may actually like them.

BTW,have you checked and corrected suspension settings ( ride heights) when you switch brands and types of tires ?

Just because it says 120/70, etc, it does not mean they are of the same diameter and consequently same rake angle and trail.

I'll go along with all of this except that that it's not about quick steering, heck I'd wager that the M3's are just as quick as the Pilots. By contrast, the Ravens definitely do have a slower turn in, but I feel like I could be totally leaned over in a corner with the Ravens, reach out and pick something up as I went by, not so with the Pilots, I feel like I'm just waiting for them low-side me. And the fact that I can recognize the same feeling on 2 completely separate bikes leads me to believe that it's not just a matter of suspension setup. I agree, different folks have vastly different riding styles, for me (who never goes to a track, but commutes through through a few twisties every day), I feel safer and more in control with M3s or Ravens.

I had a couple sets of Pilot Powers on my XX. I thought they were super confidence inspiring and real sticky. Never felt like they were gonna break loose on me. I commute on the bike too though and the rear would just wear too quick from freeway use. So I went to PR2s.