CBR1100XX.org Forum

Coolant loss

NoOne65

I am losing coolant somewhere somehow. Its not leaving into the engine and its not leaking onto the ground...where is it going? I have to fill it every three days...doesnt matter water, water+coolant or straight coolant. My dad sugested the cap so I changed it and still just vanishing...any input?

J

Are you blowing any whitish smoke?

If it's disappearing, either you have a leak you don't notice when it's parked or you're burning it up in combustion.

My only other thought is that you MIGHT have a leak in the radiator. Mine blew a leak in its first year during a trip. Some stop leak fixed it until I got home, but a year later I took the radiator off and had it brought in. There was a tiny hole, didn't really show, but under pressure, a faint plume of steam would shoot out of it. The guy sealed the radiator block for about 2 inches around the plume to be sure it was sealed.

Spend a little time making sure all the clamps are tight. Given the cooling/heating/long winters here, I usually need to double check them once a year.