CBR1100XX.org Forum

Work out

GriffbsXX

Hey guys,

I'm going to start working out and I know NOTHING about it. Please help me figure out what I need to be doing. Use small words and have patience please.

Byron

First you need to determine your goals. Be honest with yourself, be realistic, and be specific.

(IE: I want to lose 25 pounds of fat, or I want to gain 10 pounds of muscle, or I want to be able to run a 10K race.)

Second, determine what you are willing to do towards meeting your goals, such as...I am going to join a gym, or I am going to purchase equipment to work out at home, (or even, I don't have money to spend on this stuff, so what can I do for free?)

Third, What types of exercize do YOU think you would like to do? Exercize needs to be fun in order to keep you doing it.

Post this data, and then, we can give you help.

Good luck.

Lets see, I would like to lose about 25 pounds of fat. I'm not worried about the weight though so if I gain muscle weight that's cool. I want to be healthy with what ever that implies and I want to tone what I end up with, I guess 10% or so body fat.

I live on a military base, so I have access to a full gym free weights and Nautilaus machines about 10 minutes from the house. There is also a track to run on or treadmills in the gym.

I hate running, but know I need something of that nature so I am willing to run as needed. I'm interested in working with weights because I think that's going to help the most. I am open to suggestions though.

I don't expect to really enjoy it, if I did I doubt I'd have waited this long to start. I will however start the program and modify as required to find a workout that is productive and as enjoyable as possible.

I plan to start sometime soon, but haven't set a date yet. I wanted to have a plan and the job I'm in leaves a lot to be desired where actual hours are concerned. I get out of here between 4pm and 6pm most days with 10-11pm an option on Fridays. Yeah, really screwed up command. So I guess the plan also needs some flexibility...

Thanks for all your help

Byron

Byron, bottomline, you need to make this a habit, commit to it being a habit. Since you are not going to enjoy it, this is going to be tough. What do you enjoy? Have you ever lifted, worked out in the past????

I played 13 years of football and was completely burnt out from lifting, running...that I took the last 4 years off. I turned into a lop of shit (because I travel a lot for work and eat out all the time). Anyway, 6 months ago I got back into the gym. I wanted to find a way to add muscle (like I was in college), but drop the extra fat I am carrying around. I do not mind running, as long as it is not for a really long time (over 20 minutes-30 minutes 2-3 miles). Anyway, one thing I always liked before lifting was getting my body warmed up. So I used to jump rope, run, do the elipse.... So for me, it is a means to an end to avoid hurting myself when I am lifting. Typically I run about 13 - 18 minutes at a pretty quick pace (8.5 - 9 minute miles). This gets me sweating, warms up the body, but is not so long that I get bored and start thinking 'I can't run anymore". The trick for me is to run hard for a shorter time.

Then I lift. Nik provided me with his work out regiment which is absolutely great for me. For football, we were always working on adding mass, strength and quickness. Most of our workouts were 4 sets/5 reps or some 8-5-2 pyramid (1 set 8 reps, add weight 5 reps, add weight 2 reps). Well, for me today, that does not meet my goals. Plus, 3 sets really is not enough to really work the muscle. So I am doing 4 sets of 10 of everything and each day is focused on a different muscle group which keeps fatigue to a minimum and allows you to focus and get results (plus I am never at the gym longer then 2 hours which includes run, lift, steam bath, and shower). In addition, I am working areas I have typically ignored in the past such as my back. I can really see results there! Here is what my workout looks like

Monday: Chest and Triceps

Flat dumbell bench

Incline Dumbell bench

Decline Dumbell bench

Fly's on a machine or cable crossovers

Dips (4 X 20 on machine)

Skull Crushers

Tuesday: Back

Lat Pulls

Close Grip Pulldowns

Low Rows

High Rows

Back Extensions

Wednesday: Shoulders

Seated Dumbell press

Machine Press

Side raises (on machine)

Straight arm raises (in front)

Upright Rows

Shrugs

Thursday: Biceps

Curls (on machine)

Curls with EZ bar (bent bar)

Seated Dumbell curls

Curls with straight bar

Friday: Legs

Front Squats

Machine Press

Leg extensions

Leg curls (hamstrings)

Abs

Good luck!

MaXX

Holy shit Maxx, I understood dumbell, dips, Lat's, pulldowns, squats, and the leg stuff. I did work out some in highschool, about a year I guess, but that was... ... I'm thinking... 20 years ago? I'm thinking I'll need a little more guidance. :)

I'll be able to do most of what you're talking about I think, just need to know what it is. It sounds like a good workout. Mostly I want to lose the gut and make my ass fit in my jeans again.

I'll be able to make it a habbit starting about April. That's when I transfer to a different job with normal hours. That'll last for the next 15 months until I retire from the Navy. After that I'll have to see what's available and what kind of time I'll have to workout. Thanks for the input and the routine. I'll see if I can do all that at our gym.

Byron

Byron, no offense, but I guarantee you that you have the time, it is just a matter of making it a priority (even if it is really hard). The trick is figuring out if it is WORTH the sometimes heroic effort to get there. If you are committed, then follow-up with the discipline to do it. No compromises. Compromising is contagious. It is not a "one-time" thing. It will override what you are trying to accomplish. I would suggest doing nothing or making a commitment you can make vs. starting out, then missing, then starting out.... When it becomes a priority in your life, you just do it. I don't mean to beat you up as I know you are busy and your schedule moves around, but if this is important to you, then you have to make the time.

Sorry if that seems crass.

BTW, I can be more descriptive and many of these lifts can be done differently with dumbells or machines, or bench's, depending on what is in your gym.

MaXX

No offense taken. Sometimes you just have to tell people what they need to hear. :) I really think I'll be waiting a few weeks before I start, but I wanted to have an idea what I was getting into and educated as to what I need to do. Also, I'm trying to determine what kind of commitment I need to make, an hour a day, two hours three days a week, 30 min. every morning... Just depends on the goal I guess, but I don't want to simply play at it and waste my time.

I'll take a look at the gym and get a list of available equipment if I can then post that in the next few days. Probably tomorrow as I've got our PRT and will be going there in the AM.

Thanks again,

Byron

I turned into a lop of shit MaXX

I can attest to that. haha. Actually He is a diamond in the rough and could probably kick my ass.

I have been lifting for almost 20 years. Was always skinny trying to gain size and strength. A few years ago I weighed 275 with about 15% bodyfat and was strong like OX. However, haven't lifted as hard since then and am in the same boat as you. Trying to tone it up a bit and maintain some muscle mass. If you do cardio 3x /week for 1/2 hour and lift wieghts 3x/ week fopr 30-45 minutes (not talkig to your buddies but actually lifting) you'll be fairly fit. You may not win and bodybuilding contests but that is not your goal. ALso diet is a huge part of it. Cut out soda pop and fast food and you'll probably lose 10+ pounds right there. Good luck.