CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine noise at 4000 RPM

BrittC

My engine's pretty coarse as well, especially around 4-5k. I have a new CCT (from John's Bike Bits, great service btw), hopefully I'll have time to install it soon. Balance shaft adjustment will have to wait until fall.

needs the balancers adjusted, by the book..

+1 I think Stan is onto something :icon_think: Never really noticed any noise on mine though :icon_confused:

It's something I have been meaning to do on mine as I have noticed a roughness around those revs for a while (98 XX). It wasn't there when I got the bike or for 2 1/2 years or so but seemed to develop when I missed a 1-2 shift and was bouncing her off the limiter :icon_rolleyes: I get a little vibe through the tank and footpegs around that rev range as well :icon_confused:

By this, do you mean specifically the Balancer Backlash Adjustment which starts on page 12-22 and ends on page 12-23 ?

Because at the bottom of page 12-23 it says...

If the gear"whine" noise is excessive, the backlash is too small.

If the gear "rattling" noise is too excessive, the backlash is excessive.

By this, do you mean specifically the Balancer Backlash Adjustment which starts on page 12-22 and ends on page 12-23 ?

Because at the bottom of page 12-23 it says...

If the gear"whine" noise is excessive, the backlash is too small.

If the gear "rattling" noise is too excessive, the backlash is excessive.

yep, nothing to it, just do it!

sounds to me like you need some louder pipes..And yes you can hear the injectors, and the clearance on the valves, as well as the pistons rocking, if cold. Almost all will go away, if correct, when warm.

I think you should just be thankful that you have better than average hearing and put in some ear plugs, or get louder pipes, or just ride faster.

I'm so damn deaf, that if I can hear an abnormal sound in an engine, there is usually no question what the problem is. :icon_wall:

So now for another item that I'd like to track down. At idle my motor makes a clicking or ticking sound that varies with RPM. It's not very loud but it's noticeable. I'm picky when it comes to these things, and I'd like it gone! This morning I met up with two local XX riders who took a listen to my bike and they said they both heard it. Neither of their bikes make the same noise at idle (thought theirs are carbureted). One of them suggested the possibility of noisy injectors. Anyone experience this before?

Try pulling the clutch lever in, does the ticking go away? If so it's just the clutch basket rattling until she warms up :icon_wink: Pretty common I have heard and more prevalent in the FI bikes for some reason I'm led to believe from the UK forums :icon_confused: