CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust rubbing swingarm?

SoloTSi97

Nothing looks bent, but it's pretty clear that there's been a lot of contact between the swingarm and my Yoshimura exhaust. The wife and I did a 2-up trip a month or so ago, during which I made a mental note that I really need to have the suspension rebuilt, and I haven't ridden it much since due to battery and flat tire issues. But, as I was taking the back wheel off to change the tire, I was surprised to see how much metal has been worn away on the swingarm, apparently from the exhaust rubbing.

I took some pictures of the rubbed areas on the swingarm and also tried to take a couple so y'all can tell me if something looks bent or just not quite right. The bike hasn't been down in a year or so, and even then it was a right-side tipover. This problem is on the left.

The suspension is certainly overdue for service ... is it simply a matter of the fact that my 220lb. @$$ is asking too much of a tired old suspension and things shouldn't get as close as they are?

Thanks!!

-Bob

post-3387-1278464231.jpg

post-3387-1278464243.jpg

post-3387-1278464383.jpg

I looked at mine and the clearance on the left side is less that the right. (stock pipes, no passenger, low miles) Mine don't touch, but it's close.

I have no idea why the pipes shouldn't clear the same on both sides.

I thought about a spacer on the canister bracket on the left.

But why?

My Yosh touched when I installed them. I put some washers in back of the foot peg hangers (where they bolt to the frame) to space the cans out. Never had anymore trouble.

Yeah, I guess I'll look into doing that. The exhaust has been on there since the bike was new, though, and this has never happened before. Maybe the 2-up trip just compresses the suspension that far for the first time ...

Thanks for the replies.

-Bob

I read before I think it was on the English Blackbird site that the hangers or maybe their mounting points can bend down causing that.

Ah, more useful info, thanks! I peeked down as best I could while riding into work this morning, and there's definitely contact with just me on the bike. I'll take a look at the mounting hardware when I get a chance.

Thanks!!

-Bob

might be your mid-pipes.

I had to adjust my left side mid pipe just right so it would give me Leo Vince ehaust the correct clearance on the left side. The Right side like mentioned has no issues at all.

Try rotating your mid-pipe some and see if it helps you.

I read before I think it was on the English Blackbird site that the hangers or maybe their mounting points can bend down causing that.

I could see that happening if you carried a passenger since they would mount from the left side. (stop)

But mine is stock, never had a passenger, and the left pipe is still closer than the right.

The tire seems centered in the swingarm so I don't think it's because the chain is on that side.

I think Honda made it that way. Shifter clearance on the pipe? Engine not symmetrical?

I could see that happening if you carried a passenger since they would mount from the left side. (stop)

But mine is stock, never had a passenger, and the left pipe is still closer than the right.

The tire seems centered in the swingarm so I don't think it's because the chain is on that side.

I think Honda made it that way. Shifter clearance on the pipe? Engine not symmetrical?

Yeah, I frequently have a passenger and she always mounts from the left. So, that could likely be the problem. Any idea if anyone make any beefier exhaust/passenger peg mounts for the bird? I mean, my baby's by no means big! I'm surprised she would have the ... uh ... heft to bend something that was designed to support a person's weight.

Thanks!

-Bob

Even a petite passenger can tweak the mount with repeated mounting and dismounting. Have her use the front peg to get on and off in the future. Checking alignment of the mid-pipe is also a good idea

I was doing some work on my bike and when I put the Erion system back on the pipe was closer to the swing arm thant it was, turns out I had the hanger and backwards. My hanger is off set so it fits one way.

The first pic of your bike I looked at was the one from the rear and knew it was the left side giving you trouble, check the hanger.

I also agree that the peg could be bent down, they are EASY to bend, just bend it back.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Turns out it was that the midpipes had turned, which forced the cans (on both sides) in toward the swingarm. There's more clearance on the right, so it wasn't rubbing, but both were tweaked inward.

I suspect that it was a combination of doing a long round of 2-up riding recently and having a bunch of stuff in the beetle bags. After I got to looking at the pics I took of the bike from the rear, it is clear that the beetle bags were tweaked inward and rubbing on the fender. I've been thinking about taking them off anyway, so off they came and I twisted the midpipes back into place. All is well now, and she's thinner than ever! :icon_biggrin:

-Bob