CBR1100XX.org Forum

Balancer removals

cbrxxquad

I have been putting this off, because it is going to be a job. But, it needs to be done.

Removal of the balancers can be done two ways, the hard way and the easy way. Yes, you will have to crack the cases. But you knew that.

The way it is done by the big name engine builders is involved with running taps and plugs into your cases for the oil passages, and pipe taps and pipe plugs and JB weld to seal the shaft holes. Yeah that is extensive and will require a complete engine clean.

I did it on mine, the new 1200, the easy way and see no difference other than the weight of the shafts and mounting parts. Maybe a pound. I left the shafts in and from the outside it looks the same as stock. and I can put it back to stock if I want. I see no difference in the FEEL. Smooth as glass. But, I have not spent a lot of time riding. No long trips, like I have done. I took the balancers off the shafts and put the shafts back in. And I plugged the oil lines that feed the shafts with o-ring material. One is under the main bearing, and the other is back by the trans. Yeah it was a tight fit o-ring but not a big deal to get out.

first the hard way....

post-893-1276021490.jpgdrilled and taped and plugged oil hole for top rear

post-893-1276021621.jpgsame for the one under the main bearing for bottom front.

post-893-1276021759.jpgsame from away..

post-893-1276021814.jpg You can see one of the pipe plugs for the end of one of the top shafts about in the middle of this picture

post-893-1276021830.jpg closer look

post-893-1276021913.jpgthis is the oil line I packed with o-ring material that goes to the shaft.

post-893-1276022053.jpg another view.

I am going to go and do some more things and will finish this later, so check back.

Stan,

Would you post a picture of the balancers? My 01 always seem to vibrate more after a long heat soak ride. Let her sit a hour and she is not as smooth. Or maybe it's me?

Anyway, I have heard they are rubber damped. I have wondered if they can shift a little when hot.

Great work and pictures. I admire those of you who will go into a XX engine. I still remember putting my transmission back into my 72 911, only to find I had 5 reverse gears and one forward. It's attention to the details that makes the difference. :icon_redface:

Stan,

Would you post a picture of the balancers? My 01 always seem to vibrate more after a long heat soak ride. Let her sit a hour and she is not as smooth. Or maybe it's me?

Anyway, I have heard they are rubber damped. I have wondered if they can shift a little when hot.

Great work and pictures. I admire those of you who will go into a XX engine. I still remember putting my transmission back into my 72 911, only to find I had 5 reverse gears and one forward. It's attention to the details that makes the difference. :icon_redface:

Yeah they are, let me look, I know I took some of them apart somewhere.

Stan, that is definitely the hard way and probably not very safe stuffing o-rings into holes. :icon_eek: I'm not brave enough to try that, but then you probably know the oil pathways of that motor better than I know my own drive way. I took the easy way, but I'll post about mine after you do your write-up. Don't want steal your thunder.

Stan,

I have noticed this with my 02'. After about an hour or so and steady riding I can feel a buzzy feel in the pegs, however if I stop and cut off the bike for a break the buzz seems to be gone.

Don't know if its the bike or me just needing to rest and let the blood circulate for a few minutes.

I haven't and don't have a clue on how about doing it. I have noticed this buzz after an hour or so for the past 20k miles give or take a few.

The procedure is in the manual, and it will help. You do know where the manual is don't you?

I can't explain why, but that motor looks strangely familiar! :icon_whistle:

What motor??? :icon_twisted::icon_rolleyes::icon_evilgrin:

Stan, that is definitely the hard way and probably not very safe stuffing o-rings into holes. :icon_eek: I'm not brave enough to try that, but then you probably know the oil pathways of that motor better than I know my own drive way. I took the easy way, but I'll post about mine after you do your write-up. Don't want steal your thunder.

Yeah, the oring trick is pretty foolproof, good thing, all they do is block the line to the shafts, and the oil pressure keeps them there. Pressure on one side. No leaks on the other.

Hell the case I got had a bolt in the shafts and nothing else to stop the oil. Guess they spun a bearing. Mine holds 100 lbs. So far.

I haven't and don't have a clue on how about doing it. I have noticed this buzz after an hour or so for the past 20k miles give or take a few.

The procedure is in the manual, and it will help. You do know where the manual is don't you?

I can't explain why, but that motor looks strangely familiar! :icon_whistle:

What motor??? :icon_twisted::icon_rolleyes::icon_evilgrin:

Yeah, the oring trick is pretty foolproof, good thing, all they do is block the line to the shafts, and the oil pressure keeps them there. Pressure on one side. No leaks on the other.

Hell the case I got had a bolt in the shafts and nothing else to stop the oil. Guess they spun a bearing. Mine holds 100 lbs. So far.

Yes sir, even got a disk of the manual I can look at. Will have to check it out and see about doing it when I pull my bike down for chain, sprocket, tires, plugs, radiator flush, brake and clutch fluid, cleaning filter, and going to see about installing HID's while I am at. :icon_dance:

What are the pro's of removing the balancers?

Yes sir, even got a disk of the manual I can look at. Will have to check it out and see about doing it when I pull my bike down for chain, sprocket, tires, plugs, radiator flush, brake and clutch fluid, cleaning filter, and going to see about installing HID's while I am at. :icon_dance:

What are the pro's of removing the balancers?

Well since you mentioned it, I would suggest... http://www.evanscooling.com/npg/

• 1 month later...