CBR1100XX.org Forum

fork valve questions

ROXX

Are you looking to re-valve the stock setup (new/rearranged shim stacks), or go with aftermarket valving like Race Tech's Gold valve stuff?

I'd check local track/race boards and find a local guy with a good rep and have him tune the stock stuff. You'd probably end up spending $200-$300 plus springs depending on how hungry the guy is- this is assuming you pulled the forks yourself.

Ken at Superbike Suspension did a great job setting up my SV, but he's probably no better than a lot of guys out there that you could hand your forks to without messing with shipping.

Cheapest version.

Unless you are ultra heavy or ultra light just clean everything extremely well and fill forks with high end 7.5w racing suspension fluid.Not all suspension fluids are equal,just like engine oil.

"Cleaning extremely well" means taking forks apart and pumping brake parts cleaner through the cartridge.Keep doing it till all that gray crap stops coming out.Reassemble,fill forks with factory prescribed amount of fluid.Done.The improvement in fork damping action will amaze you.

Get in touch with Rick at Cogent Dynamics, the company that did the group buy here a couple years ago. I think he's done 20 or 30 sets of BB forks.

Ask him for his own brand of compression valves and springs and what his recommendation would be for compression and rebound valve stacks and fork oil.

It'll cost more than washing the stuff and using fresh oil but the results will be quite a bit better.

Hank

Okay, I looked at those. they say "re-valved", but they don't say with what.

My forks only have 7500 miles on them and I've changed the fluid at about 5k.

I think I'll try to find a local guy to re-do the stock valves unless he talks me in to getting some gold valves or penskes or something.

Maybe change the spring also.

I would like to keep total cost around $350 if I can.