CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery: Now it charges it; Now it doesn't!

rca29

Hi there!

It's been a while since my last visit here, but to be honest I haven't ride the 'Bird for quite a while.

Today I went for a ride with my wife, so I left home, stopped 7 miles later and when I tried to start the engine again, the starter was slow and stopped.

I then pushed the bike and got it running again and made something like 25 miles, stopped (in a downhill), and when I came back (10 minutes later) the same thing happened.

Then I did 25 more miles, stopped for a launch (about 60 minutes) and when I got back, it started perfectly. :icon_rolleyes:

When I got home (7 miles later), I started the engine again, and the starter was slow again.

I measured the voltage with the engine idling, and this was the result:

dscf0802c.jpg

At 4.000 rpm, no big change…

dscf0803r.jpg

Bottom line, it isn’t charging the battery at all.

What could it be?

(Rectifier? How can I test it?)

Cheers

dscf0786r.jpg

Regulator/Rectifier would be my first guess as your voltage isn't moving.

Start with checking your connections. Make sure they are clean and in good working order.

How old is the battery?

Was the battery on a battery tender while the bike was not in use?

Reg/rectifier.

What happened to me is the regulator died, then the rectifier fried. It seems like they are so closely tied that they are almost always a two part replacement. You could try to replace the regulator, then test the rectifier if you are a little strapped for cash. I just did them both at the same time because I didn't want down time. The rectifier was burnt to a crisp when I pulled it out.

Reg/rectifier.

What happened to me is the regulator died, then the rectifier fried. It seems like they are so closely tied that they are almost always a two part replacement. You could try to replace the regulator, then test the rectifier if you are a little strapped for cash. I just did them both at the same time because I didn't want down time. The rectifier was burnt to a crisp when I pulled it out.

I'm confused, are you referring to the regulator/rectifier and the stator? The "regulator and rectifier" are not separate parts.

Thanks a lot for your help.

In the meantime, I've read a lot of threads around here, and also did the tests from the manual.

I have output from the stator (something like 9 volt at iddle and more than 40 volt when reving, but my battery wasn't fully charged yet).

The continuity tests are all as stated in the manual, so I guess it must be a dead rectifier.

I really don't understand why Honda still makes s**t like this, because my father's '95 VFR 750 had the same problem around the same mileage (19.000 miles), and this is a well know issue in several Honda bikes. Some recent models still have this issue.

I guess that some of Honda's engineers were working too hard and sleeping in working hours. :icon_confused:

Reg/rectifier.

I'm confused, are you referring to the regulator/rectifier and the stator? The "regulator and rectifier" are not separate parts.

You are absolutely right. I meant to say reg/stator. The regulator is basically 3 bridge rectifiers and some other stuff that convert the AC signals to DC voltage. Sometimes I can't the brain and has the stupid.

Reg/rectifier.

You are absolutely right. I meant to say reg/stator. The regulator is basically 3 bridge rectifiers and some other stuff that convert the AC signals to DC voltage. Sometimes I can't the brain and has the stupid.

Looking at the reading on your meter bring up bad memories :icon_banghead:

Thanks a lot for your help.

In the meantime, I've read a lot of threads around here, and also did the tests from the manual.

I have output from the stator (something like 9 volt at iddle and more than 40 volt when reving, but my battery wasn't fully charged yet).

The continuity tests are all as stated in the manual, so I guess it must be a dead rectifier.

Or a bad battery that just won't take a charge.