CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Advice on using both Helibars and Genmar risers?

xxtraspec99

For long trips I'd really like to use both Helibars and Genmar risers. I've heard that it's possible to combine them successfully. But how?

I know many riders just raise their bars in place of using risers. But the advantage to Genmar risers (or homemade substitute) is two fold. Most importantly, the top ring and cap gives the empty top half of the fork tube cincher something to hold on to, as the top ring drops into this empty space. This can also prevent coning, which might loosen the cinch over time, or that could just be me being overcareful. Also the riser at the bottom can add stability when riding aggressively, as in putting a lot of body weight on the bars. I did replace the front lines with two inch over steel braided cables so there's plenty of room.

So, has anyone either tried raising their Helibars or combining risers and Helibars? Is there a good way or safe way to do this?

I raised my Heli-bars pretty high. I found at Home Depot some caps that fit perfectly. I ended up painting the caps black. They look pretty good. Raising the Heli bars higher feel way better. Shoot me your email address and I will send you a picture...

steve

I think Genmars are really just cosmetic. I have VFR bars that I have raised pretty high above the fork mounts. The pinch bolts themselves are not above the fork mounts but the bars are up there. PM me and I can send you a pic as well. I just check them periodically to make sure they're tight.