CBR1100XX.org Forum

Regulator ?

EVLXX

I believe that any 3phase R/R can work, as long as it is able to handle the output capability of the stator. Because the unit is a shunt regulator, it needs the capacity to short out the total stator current, which depends on the stator wire size and magnet field strength from the flywheel.

As an aside to your question, I'm investigating the design of a new circuit to replace this unit. Its value will be to free up the half horsepower the current system wastes, and also protect the stator coil from its typical failure mode.

Interesting... all of it.

I really had no idea of how the Reg/Rec worked, other than it has a couple of Diodes to change the AC current to a DC current. So anthing above that is great infomation in my book.

I'm looking at buying a spare Reg/rec unit, since it seems to be one of those items that most people here carry as a back-up unit, and I never have.

But maybe now I'll wait until you get finished with your R&D..... and then happily follow your work.

On a same but different angle, so if one was to buy a Bigger/stronger Stator, as some have I think, to run more gadgets, then wouldn't you also want a bigger/stronger Reg/rec as well.

Like I said, now you've got me thinking I should wait, at least until I understand this a little more.

As an aside to your question, I'm investigating the design of a new circuit to replace this unit. Its value will be to free up the half horsepower the current system wastes, and also protect the stator coil from its typical failure mode.

Are you thinking of designing a circuit that is not a shunt regulator? When you say "free up the waste",

I assume (there's that word...) you mean something along the lines of a system that does not shunt

excess current to ground. I would be very interested in seeing the results of your investigation.

Are you thinking of designing a circuit that is not a shunt regulator? When you say "free up the waste",

I assume (there's that word...) you mean something along the lines of a system that does not shunt

excess current to ground. I would be very interested in seeing the results of your investigation.

Yes, the idea is to build what is known as a "buck"regulator, this is a device that converts an arbitrary voltage down to some fixed level. It uses a magnetic core ( inductor) and some high speed switches to shift the voltage without very much loss. the trouble is making one to work with the fairly high voltage the Bird will put out, and handle the fairly high output current.

I'm quite busy the last few months working on a consulting job, but when that IC gets finished in a month or so I should have time to get serious on this RR project.

Yes, the idea is to build what is known as a "buck"regulator, this is a device that converts an arbitrary voltage down to some fixed level. It uses a magnetic core ( inductor) and some high speed switches to shift the voltage without very much loss. the trouble is making one to work with the fairly high voltage the Bird will put out, and handle the fairly high output current.

Throw a few diodes (one for each phase) and a big capacitor in front of this and you're mostly there. I'd have to go research a good PWM IC, since it's been awhile.

Throw a few diodes (one for each phase) and a big capacitor in front of this and you're mostly there. I'd have to go research a good PWM IC, since it's been awhile.

yep that's a buck. The level shift is the only 'trick' there, I'm hoping someone does a high voltage controller instead. The circuit shown cannot self start, I would like to preserve that ability for the new RR. May have to build the pwm out of more discrete components to get the 100v or so range we need. All I could see from linear tech is 60v stuff, I'll continue looking some more later.

The circuit shown cannot self start

Sure it can. Vcc and Vout are both tied to the battery, so it's strictly up to the modulator.

meant to say self start with dead battery. that feature is the only good thing I see in the existing shunt regulator scheme.

And in case you're interested, the thought of using a synchronus rectifier instead of diodes comes to mind here with the switcher scheme. Might not be worth the bother, but I think it has merit.

meant to say self start with dead battery. that feature is the only good thing I see in the existing shunt regulator scheme.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to get around that. Giving up the bum-start option wouldn't bother me greatly.

And in case you're interested, the thought of using a synchronous rectifier instead of diodes comes to mind here with the switcher scheme. Might not be worth the bother, but I think it has merit.

If we were trying to source starting current through it, maybe, but I'd need to do some math before I was ready to sign up for the added complexity.