CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust leaking water....

MrFlibbleUK

Hi everyone, first time I have posted to this group..so please...be gentle :)

Right here goes...I have a full Yosh Zyclone RS3 exhaust system (carbon fibre can), which is about 4 years old now. I have noticed recently that it has started leaking water/vapour from where the carbon material meets the down pipe , just after the rivetted band. The bike hasnt been dropped or anything.

Is it just a case of it needs re-rivetteng? (it does appear as though the carbon material has pulled away slightly from the down pipe bit, as you can actually see a tiny bit of packing material sticking it.

Anyone had any experience with the Zyclone with a competition baffle?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Welcome to the site..

I use to do fiberglass work, also did alittle carbon fiber work. Over time the UV rays from the sun will break down the resin that makes the part..

If your bike sits out in the sun alot you will notice the carbon too look dull, and discolored. Also heat will not help it, over time from your bikes exhaust constantly running and being shut off allowing to cool will also weaken the material.

The heating and cooling will allow condensation to build up in your pipes. You burn this off when you warm up your bike on the next ride. You are seeing the water coming from the hole you mentioned... I would suggest 3 things..

1. buy some new sleeves for your pipes.. You keep the end cap and what not, and just pop rivet them back on new sleeves..

2.buy new pipes completely of carbon fiber if they dont sell the can sleeve itself.

3. buy new pipes in Ti or aluminum.

Dave

Isnt there a drainage hole down there on the bottom of the cans somewhere? I'm pretty sure most cans have drain holes on them to keep water from pooling up in them. That could be what it is...but looks like its coming from where the carbon meets the metal since it would run down/forward.