CBR1100XX.org Forum

Weird

Jaygermeister

Went for a little 100 mile ride today enjoying the sunny 70deg weather and while I was sitting behind a tuck I noticed in the reflection of its bumper that my head light was out. No big deal in the middle of the day but the Silver Star was only 10 month old!! :icon_scratchhead: The one in my XX has been there for years with never a problem. I just found this weird

After sucessfully using Phillips Vision+ bulbs in my Bird, I installed one in my Busa shortly after I bought it.

It failed during the West Coast Bash a couple years ago. When I got back home, I re-installed the stock bulb, and have not had a problem.

It could just be a concidence. I don't know.

With my Busa, I also found that I had to adjust the headlights up quite a bit before they worked well. They were pointing at the ground even before I raised the back of my bike up.

When my factory installed H7s burned out I did go thru number of replacements,they only lasted couple of k miles an average,for some fricking reason I could not find any "plain" H7s ,only blue,red,whatever.( I do consider colored headlight bulbs gay btw).That was number of years ago when H7s where not widely available.

I'm going HID

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=catal...ent=61&pg=1

Low beam only, 35w-6k. That should do it.

Great decision, almost, do both. Worth every bit and last much better. Only thing that I find a problem at all is the slow start up. but, after the first time they seam to be quick enough. At night, I kick the high on right away, so it is charged up. I have the euro right switch, so I, as you know, can turn it off at startup.

Do they make one for yours? I wonder if one for the bird could be adapted for yours. Can't be that much different.

I'm going HID

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=catal...ent=61&pg=1

Low beam only, 35w-6k. That should do it.

Great decision, almost, do both. Worth every bit and last much better. Only thing that I find a problem at all is the slow start up. but, after the first time they seam to be quick enough. At night, I kick the high on right away, so it is charged up. I have the euro right switch, so I, as you know, can turn it off at startup.

Do they make one for yours? I wonder if one for the bird could be adapted for yours. Can't be that much different.

As far as I know of, no euro switch. Most are splicing some sort of capacitor for the high beams so the “flash to pass” switch will work. They are also splicing in some sort of relay timer thingy on the low beam to give it a 10sec delay. Something about the power drawl before the bike starts makes the clock reset some times

Check back in after you do the install. I ordered a couple to do the low beam on my XX and Busa, and curious if the delay timer is needed. One thing I liked about my ZZR1200 I just sold, was a lot more light stock and they didn't light until the engine fired.

I have the Silverstars now, but their not much better than stock.

Bulbs on XX's actually burn out? First its the rubber band that holds the tool kit and now this!!!!

Both my 97's have the orginal headlight bulbs.

Jay's got a Busa, Tom. And he replaced the stocker with a Sylvania Silverstar.

And yea, they burn out, I had it happen. So far, I haven't had a lick of problems with the HID I put in, though I wish I'd done high beam as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed the DDM Tuning HID kit today with the DEI 528T delay switch wired in to the power pig tale on the kit. Most of my time was spent to figure out where to put everything and cutting the wires so there wouldn't be to much slack or extra wires wadded up behind the fairing.

I know everyone who has installed HIDs have been very impressed and I’m no different…..Should of done it years ago and for as cheap as they are now there is no reason not to have them.

Sort video with the dalay timer set to 35sec.

post-145-1265761755.jpg

post-145-1265761773.jpg

post-145-1265761790.jpg

Good Job Jay.

I just started ready about all this HID stuff this morning, playing catch up, still trying to catch up on the meaning of the Delay thingy, and am working with a guy at my work that wants a set for his jeep, so we/I might pull the trigger by the end of the week. Getting excited I think....

PS. I guess this year, if you come back up, I'm going to have to leave you a little farther back there.... so you don't blind me like Stan was doing. :icon_twisted:

And I like the vid, again good job.

In case someone doesn’t know what the DEI 528T delay timer looks like………..

There are two reasons for adding it to my bike.

1. When turning on the key and the ballast powers up, depending on how much juice is in your battery, it can pull enough power to reset the clock.

2. When turning on the key it powers the ballast then the bulb flickers and comes on, then by pressing the start button to crank the bike, power is killed to the ballast till bike starts then repowers the ballast bulb flickers and comes on again. So the head light has to come on twice.

With a DEI- 528T 30amp delay switch, you turn on the key and the timer starts a 10-90sec delay (adjustable) before the ballast is powers up. That gives the bike time to start and the charging system to energies. No reset clocks and the bulb only comes on once to extend it’s life

412S3E19QGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

In the pics above the DDM kit come apart in 3 sections, the bulb with it’s plug, the ballast with it’s relay/capacitor that plugs into the bulb and the power wire that one end plugs in to the OE headlight connector and the other end plugs into the ballast (this is the wire you spice in the timer.)

I should have done a better job of taking pics as I went along.

• 2 weeks later...
Went for a little 100 mile ride today enjoying the sunny 70deg weather and while I was sitting behind a tuck I noticed in the reflection of its bumper that my head light was out. No big deal in the middle of the day but the Silver Star was only 10 month old!! :icon_scratchhead: The one in my XX has been there for years with never a problem. I just found this weird

Incidentally, Sylvania will replace a burned out bulb up to one year old. All I had to do was fax my receipt. I think they will take a burned out bulb too.

Incidentally, Sylvania will replace a burned out bulb up to one year old. All I had to do was fax my receipt. I think they will take a burned out bulb too.

Well I say it burnt out but I didn't check. I'll say it just failed.