CBR1100XX.org Forum

Broke down on Christmas holiday

htm77

I brought the bird down to Florida for Christmas, rode it for a couple of days and now I am only getting about 10 volts AC out of the stator at 4 to 5 thousand RPM. My question is should I get a new honda one or is the aftermarket one going to last?

I brought the bird down to Florida for Christmas, rode it for a couple of days and now I am only getting about 10 volts AC out of the stator at 4 to 5 thousand RPM. My question is should I get a new honda one or is the aftermarket one going to last?

How did you check that?

Seems like you are reading voltage from the battery as stator voltage is way more...

Regulator brings it down.

Do a search here for the test procedures and take a look at Ricks Motorcycle Electrics for parts

when you know what you need.

Hank

Assuming you're following the testing procedure here:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53455

10 VAC is way too low, you're correct, it's a bad stator. A bit further down in that post, you'll find a link to Rick's electrics. They make a fine replacement, I've had NO problems with the one I put in.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replys I picked up a new stator and I decided to do the regulater to and I noticed there is a different honda part no. for the 1999/2000 than the 2001/2002/2003. Does anybody know the differecnce or if one is better. The one from Ricks shows the same number.

What year is your bike?

Could be the regulator. The newer rectifiers are improved so use one to them if the present one is bad.

These Birds are like any machine and have problems from time to time. But on balance they are beautifuly built machines and well worth the little problems one sees.

I think you can use the newer R/R on a 99 or 00, but I believe the connector plugs are slightly different and you will have to solder the old plug to the newer R/R. I'm sure there is already a thread about this. Hopelfully some one else can confirm this.

The 99+ Regulator/Rectifiers work on a different principle than the previous years. Basically, they have a voltage sense wire which runs from the battery and is used by the RR to determine how much power to put back into the system. I've done the conversion to make an OEM work on a 97/98, and it really really sucks to do, you probably don't want to go there.

The R1 RR bolts right up, and is very reliable, though. See this thread:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24793

Note that the extra black wire is a hot wire from the battery, and will need to be capped off. Mike Barton makes an EXCELLENT connector. See this thread:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...=56685&st=0

• 2 months later...

Back in Florida for a couple of weeks with a new stater and regulater. I put a temporary volt meter on the bike and it is charging fine, around 15 volts when I am moving and down to around 12.5v when at a stop sign. Should it always be charging at around 15v or should it drop down a little when it is fully charged? i have put about 300 miles on it with no problems.