CBR1100XX.org Forum

Remove grease stains from anodized aluminum wheels?

RC4G

My forged aluminum Machesini's (silver anodized finish) have some stains on them that just won't come out. They almost look like greasy fingerprints from handling the wheel during a tire change.

I've tried everything I can think of but nothing will take it off. Every soap known to man, wheel cleaners, WD40, brake cleaner, alcohol, you name it I've probably tried it. I've even tried some Simple Green and Castrol Purple degreaser (sparingly) with no luck.

Any ideas how I can get rid of these pesky stains? I'm just about ready to just powder coat the wheels and move on.

Sounds like you've got some sort of chemical stain to the anodizing itself.

Easy-Off oven cleaner will remove the anodizing and most likely the stain as well if you want to go that far. Perhaps a judicious and localized application might get rid of your stains without totally removing the finish.

Sounds like you've got some sort of chemical stain to the anodizing itself.

Easy-Off oven cleaner will remove the anodizing and most likely the stain as well if you want to go that far. Perhaps a judicious and localized application might get rid of your stains without totally removing the finish.

Heat or no-heat Easy-Off?

I'd suggest you get in touch with John01XX (John's Bike Bits).

He works in the car wash supply business and owns a set of anodized rims himself.

Might just have some "magic" in a bottle.

I'd hold up on the oven cleaner for a bit...no going back from what that does to anodizing.

Hank