CBR1100XX.org Forum

valve chatter and fuel injection light on

jeffro7172

So I went to look at a 2000 BB. Previous maintenance is not meticulous by talking to owner. I heard a little bit of what I thought was valve chatter coming up under the handlebars and also the fuel injection light came on while I was test riding it. It's got 25k miles on it and I don't think anything has been done last 8k miles so I figure it's due for a valve adjustment. Bike rode great and didn't make any funny noises up to 50. FI light is kind of a concern. Any red flags based on what's mentioned? I was going to have my shop give it a once over anyway, but just wondered about the FI light mostly and the sound of what I thought was valve chatter. I ride a Katana so it sounds like a bolt is rattling around in there and everyone tells me they are just noisy.This was NOWHERE near that kind of noise, just a faint tap tap tap

thanks in advance!!

The "valve chatter" might be the CCT lifter, common failure on the XX, though "failure" is probably too strong a word. The FI light- '99 and '00 models were prone to wiring loom issues, see this thread for reference and a handy PDF file outlining the fix.

The "valve chatter" might be the CCT lifter, common failure on the XX, though "failure" is probably too strong a word. The FI light- '99 and '00 models were prone to wiring loom issues, see this thread for reference and a handy PDF file outlining the fix.

Thanks Redbird. Gives me a few options to lookup. I haven't looked up the CCT lifter but the FI light doesn't sound like a dealbreaker if it's just the wiring loom. In fact it might help my cause of talking down.... :)

Search CCT on this site and you'll get more info then you could ever want.

To sum up what you will find.... It's an annoying noise, but it will not hurt anything. It happens between 4-6k rpm.

Search CCT on this site and you'll get more info then you could ever want.

To sum up what you will find.... It's an annoying noise, but it will not hurt anything. It happens between 4-6k rpm.

I've looked over the site and see that the valves are usually good for a while so assuming the worst of they've not been checked in 25k miles (what's on the bike) a full service would tell me what the deal is. It is definitely not a marble sound like the CCT posts point to. Very faint like a vibration squeak or something. I feel pretty good about the bike and will see if he will take my offer soon. From the reputation of the motor, it sounds as if they are fairly bulletproof and if I didn't hear any obvious problems a roll of the dice should be fine it seems.

Hope to join the family soon. Thanks for your guys' help!