CBR1100XX.org Forum

XW ring chains

The Krypt Keeper

Has anyone gotten one of these chains. Was looking at White Buffalo as I am in need of a chain and sprockets soon. linky

all the way to the bottom

Was curious about it. Says lasts longer than standard chains by 5 to 8 times. Problem is your sprockets won't last that long. Then you have to replace them and both won't wear evenly.

Got 26k miles on my current DID chain. Think that chain will last 130k - over 200k miles??? :icon_lol: I doubt it myself..

They only last so long no matter how much you pay for them :icon_rolleyes:

Don't think they will make 100k or even 75k :icon_whistle:

I doubt it's worth the investment (not that prices were listed).

A quality O-ring or X-ring chain tends to last as long as your sprockets. That's why you replace them at the same time.

My last sprocket/chain set was the sprockets I had on the bike when I bought it used (likely OEM when it was made) and the DID X-ring chain I got for a sprocket replacement, but because the shop sent me an aluminum rear sprocket and not a steel one, my new sprockets were chewed up after a cross-country trip. I put back on my old sprockets and stuck with the chain. THEN, I installed a ProOiler.

IIRC, I got over 40K on that chain/sprocket set before I had to replace it. Had everything been new, Pablo thinks I should have gone farther.

If the chain goes that far, at some point you likely will have to replace the sprockets....meaning you put a worn chain on a new set of sprockets....prematurely shortening their life.

My 2 cents.

The ProOiler did more than anything else to extend the life of chain and sprockets. By keeping the "o-rings" moist and lubed at ALL times, you reduce what really kills the sprockets and chain....premature wearout of the o-ring that then lets the sealed grease out and dirt in. This kills the chain early, and a worn chain kills your sprockets.

From all I can tell, they basically are using the toughest o-rings available to prevent wearout, but the whole wearout problem is the result of them going dry from friction, not because the current o-rings are "defective" or otherwise insufficient to do the job. Keep your chain constantly lubed so the friction doesn't dry out the o-rings and your chain will go 3-5 times its normal life by traditional cleaning and lubing.

I SUPPOSE that IF you don't want to buy a Pro-Oiler (which pays for itself in no time), but want longer life from your sprockets when doing traditional cleaning and lubing, this could be your best alternative. Never clean and lube your chain and I doubt you'd get much longer life out of this new product.

By "standard" chains I think they mean non-o-ring chains. Any o-ring chain will last significantly longer than non-o-ring chain.

I had to change my OEM chain at about 30k km not because it or the sprockets were worn out but because I had a couple of links that were siezing and I couldn`t get them free again. I`ve since installed an auto oiler of my own design and it`s been great. Just keep oil in the reservoir and it`s worry free riding. We`ll see how long this one lasts.