CBR1100XX.org Forum

Penske Structural Failure

silverbird1100

So yesterday, 1.5 miles into a 4000 mile trip to California I went over a large rolling bump and my rear suspension collapsed, the whole bike lowered 6 inches and was only supported by the spring trapped in the linkage.

I inspected the inner wall of the baseplate and found the ridge that the c-clip rests against had been washed out and allowed it to slide right out. I was able able to get back home by taking off all the spring load and re-positioning it, but when I got home and check it out, the plate was wedged over the clip. I had to pound it upward with force just to get the c-clip off.

I bought it new last year, put 5000 miles on it problem free and just last month took it apart to clean it. When I re-assembled it, I put the clip and base plate back on just as it should be, but without looking for wear inside the plate. What could I have done wrong? When I started cranking on the pre-load everything was fine but as soon as I hit a big enough bump with it, bam. I'm certain the clip was in place and the plate fit properly, it had to have.

It's a 1100 lb spring on a fully loaded XX, but I was straight up and down when it happened and those shocks must have been tested to endure 10 times that on a race bike with 200hp.

Did I jack myself over or what the hell?

some of those clips have a round side and a sharp side, and as such are directional.

Like knives in drawers. Some are sharp and some are dull. :icon_evilgrin:

This is just another in a long list of things I'll try to remember not to do. Thanks for screwing up Silverbird, so I don't have to. (If it was your fault.)

Glad to be of service.

I'm officially the dumbest mother fucker on this board if there was any question, AND I'm not a liberal!

What ever happened, it failed because of my carelessness and had it let go in a corner I'd have fucked myself up something unimaginable. That's a nine day trip I'll have the pleasure playing what-if videos in my head for years to come.

Watch those clips and your mechanics in general, it doesn't take much.

Been meaning to pull the Penske off the SV since a couple wet days to clean it up and install a spacer, this was the extra motivation I needed. The clip on mine is not directional.

So what happened to yours? That plate shouldn't be a wear item if all is right. The only thing that I can think of is if the spring wasn't loaded it might allow enough play down there to wear the plate.

Can you post pics?

Glad to be of service.

I'm officially the dumbest mother fucker on this board if there was any question, AND I'm not a liberal!

What ever happened, it failed because of my carelessness and had it let go in a corner I'd have fucked myself up something unimaginable. That's a nine day trip I'll have the pleasure playing what-if videos in my head for years to come.

Watch those clips and your mechanics in general, it doesn't take much.

Maybe yes...maybe no.

I'd send it back to Penske, att: Mike Himmelsbach.

Lemme know if you need the addy or contact info...

Hank

What ever happened, it failed because of my carelessness

Um...How do you figure that?

Send it back for inspection and service, and tell them the whole story without edits or embellishments.

• 2 weeks later...

The parts posted are what failed.

I'm still torn as to what happened, my fault or not. Just off the ridge of that black part, the paint is worn where clip slipped by. I just don't know, I'll post a pic if you want but it really won't show much. Interestingly enough, when I repositioned it roadside, it didn't give me a problem the whole 20 miles ride I took before taking it apart again and it was fine for that short ride, then I replaced it after seeing how bad it was.

Dumb, not at all. The snap ring in that part is normally reusable. But proper seating typically locks it in place. I have seen them clipped on one end and not the other, and get out.The spring preload pressure will hold it under some hundreds of pounds. I would suspect you may have had too little of that. Most of the springs I have done usually have 2 to 3 hundred on the rear.

And that will set the preload and 1/3 of travel loaded. Not something you are going to do without tools to do it.

Proper shock work is best left to those who are trained.