CBR1100XX.org Forum

LEDs and Fast Flashing

BigMig

Team,

I changed out the tail light on my 2000 XX with an integrated Clear Alter. that I got from John01. Using it, I eliminated my stock rear turn signals. The directional signals in the CA now flash faster, but I think that might get more notice from goof-ball cagers, and I like it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a set of aftermarket LED rear turn signals - for more visibility of the turn signals. This way - from the rear - the CA will flash - and so will these added rear turn signals.

The question: if I add a set of LED rear turn signals, will this further accelerate the bike's flash rate? I'm not too good with ohms, volts and the like, but any ideas you may have will be a big help to me.

Thanks,

Mike

Go ahead and add them, the flash rate will be the same as you have now. The two ways available to slow them down and restore them to the original flash rate is to:

1. Add a set of resistors in parallel with the LEDs

2. Buy an electronic flasher unit. Some are fixed rate, some are variable rate.......you set the time yourself.

I had regular mini rear turn signals. Then I put the same tail light on that you did and it flashed too fast. So I hooked up my mini's also and it slowed down the flashing to the stock rate and made the signals more noticeable. If you hooked up your stock lights with the new tail, it would slow down the flash.

Yes, it will increase your flashing rate.

The LEDs don't have enough resistance to throw the stock relay properly. Just add a 50-60W 3-6ohm resistor in line with the ground or hot and you'll be all set.

This is a good company... Vizi-Tec Linky

They took a lot of pains(ultimately unsuccessful) to find the connectors for the Blackbird taillights. They offered me a discount on purchasing without plug and play connectors and it worked out beautifully with Clear Alternatives regular LED tailight assembly. They will custom design programs for you if they can.