CBR1100XX.org Forum

wilbers shock question

mikesail

Hopefully someone here has an answer for me. I would like to rotate the hydraulic preload piston on my Wilbers shock 180 degrees, so as to allow the remote damping valve port to face forward. I have the shock off the bike, and while it is possible to twist the spring around by hand, the preload adjuster seems to be fixed by means that are invisible.

Does anyone here have any insight into how this unit is assembled and retained, and can it be rotated?

gotta have pictures, but my ohlin has a pin to orient.

yes, I've one of those on the LSR bike, this shock has no visible pin/detent/flat/slot etc..

Couldn't find my camera for some reason, so I looked over the shock once again. Thanks Stan, that got me the answer.

The preload piston base is threaded, and locks with another lock ring. Just had to loosen the lock ring and then rotate the base as needed. it does change the preload by one turn, but then I've still got the whole range to move remotely.

This whole exercise is to reorient and replace the hose to the remote valve, somehow I got the old one so hot the vinyl melted off the outside and the hose ruptured!!! I will be replacing it with a little better setup using AN fittings instead of the banjo's it came with. This will make it very easy to change the hose in the future to another length and/or add angle fittings as desired. Also the AN fittings have better flow than the banjo's so that might help fluid flow a bit, not heat the line so much.

I have a Wilbers shock with hydraulic preload on my V65 Sabre. With the shock off, the spring compressed slighly( enough to unload the preload unit) I unwound the lock ring and then the preload unit unthreads off the body. Not sure if you`re going to go more or less preload but it`ll only be 1/2 turn anyway if you want it to face the other way.

This help?

I have a Wilbers shock with hydraulic preload on my V65 Sabre. With the shock off, the spring compressed slighly( enough to unload the preload unit) I unwound the lock ring and then the preload unit unthreads off the body. Not sure if you`re going to go more or less preload but it`ll only be 1/2 turn anyway if you want it to face the other way.

This help?

Thanks, that is exactly what I finally figured it must be. We are good now, just need to get it recharged with the new hose.