CBR1100XX.org Forum

1997 drivability

ofredo

I have a 1997 XX that I purchased as a salvage bike. It is back together and has a drivability problem, cruising around 3000 to 5500 rpms if you try to open the throttle any more than a few percent it acts as if it is very lean, idle, full throttle it runs great. Carbs are clean and stock, slide lift diaphragms are good, stock exhaust, petcock unobstructed, This bike has been run on the dyno and has a 4th gear rollon that is identical to other stock XX's

Please let me know if you have any ideas. :cry:

I can think of a couple of things, but require more info.

How many miles?

Why was it salvaged, ie what type of wreck was it in or is that known? I think your mystery will lie in that answer, just my gut feeling.

Dyno tests are great, however, are not real world. The loads a bike are under are not the same from dyno to road. They just haven't made a dyno that can correctly mimic this yet. It's rare to see the dyno tester even sit on the seat, much less shift his weight around or use the footpegs. And riding perfectly upright is highly unlikely in the real world. But alas, dynos are used for tuning, not diagnosing.

All of these things make small, but noticable changes to the way the engine reacts to a request for more power.

You said the carbs were functioning fine. Have you taken them apart? I bought a Guzzi a couple years back that had a weird cough and sputter at only a small part of the RPMs. I started to pull the injection apart, and only got to taking the airbox off. Part of the paper filter had fallen apart and lodged itself in one of the throttle bodies. That was an easy, quick fix.

If the carbs seem fine, try a jet kit. Depending on your elevation, this may also liven things up, if not fix the annoying flat spot in the RPMs.

I'm also thinking, depending on miles, plugs are always a good source to check as well. It only takes an hour or so to get em all out and checked.

Good luck, let us know what comes of it.

Later, Sean.