CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wiring loom price ?

Jetsetter

Well , had an issue with my fan not coming on , it had a manual switch on it.

Rode it up the road to the only mechanic in vietnam who knows big bikes.

Pick it up in the afternoon , fan is working , but he has wired it in to so as when the ignition is on ,, the fan is on ,, tried the argument , decided to change it back when i got home.

Got a few miles up the road , bike stops,, blown the 20 amp main fuse. Replace with spare , head back to shop ,, blow another, fuse holder melts ,,, :icon_whistle:

Finally get it back to the shop , leave it overnight.

Next day bike is fixed , fan still wired in permanently, get home ,, seems no bother but had smelt some burning ,,couldnt find it ,,

Small electrical issues continued ,, tacho would stop for no reason ,, FI light would illuminate then off , tacho start working , fan intermittent ,,, have a look around at what the bike shop did and find a 25amp fuse in the main fuse holder.

Opinions here please ? It had a 20 amp ,, was obviously shorting somewhere and is replaced with a 25amp. Is it enough to cause my wiring to burn out ?

Noticed some burn on the loom covering forward of the huge plug ,, stripped it back and what a mess , from the big (24pin?) plug ,thru the test plug , right thru a lot of wires melted. Didnt strip it all the way back as i wanted to get it back to the shop.

took it there some days ago with some questions for them . Today they ring and tell me that $550 Singapore dollars ($380 USD) will get me a new loom as this one is buggered.

So tomorrow , back on the ferry for another wasted day to go check the damage ad get to the bottom of why this happened.

Strangely , as the mechanic pointed out , wiring on bikes here seems to get chewed a bit by mice.

Opinions ?? anyone had major loom problems ?

checked at hdlparts.com, wiring loom for 01 - 03 $287.24.

$380.00 fitted seems cheap..............awful lot of fiddley shit to fit. whats their rate 2 bucks an hour?

good luck

2 cents

At the risk of sounding overly cautious, I'd buy the wiring and do it myself. Take lots of pics and be prepared to spend a lot of time winding the harness out of the frame. I would NOT trust the same shop. Bike Bandit has microfiche you can look at while you are working to make sure everything goes where it's supposed to.

No telling what the "mechanic" did to your harness at this point. Just fork out the dough and get a new harness. It only took me 3 days to get the bike back together from start to finish, but I also was doing repairs, not just replacing the harness. This was in my garage and enjoying a beer now and then too.

If I didn't have a garage, I would eat it and have another shop put the new harness in.

I have a harness for a '99-'00 model. Let me know if you're interested. I can send a pic of the harness with the part number.