CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cruise Control fixes

beestoys

Ok

I have been working on a cruise for the Blackbird it differs from the Audiovox vacuum version in that the unit I am installing is a pure electric unit. It uses a servo motor instead. The big hurdle has been the VSS signal. As near as I can find its at 80K for the bird. So through my searches I have found a possible solution from Rostra. Talked to their tech support today and found out motorcycle to them doesn't mean an automatic we can't talk to you response. Actually the opposite they are building a unit for the victory now and he has adapted units over for the Busa.

What he gave me is a part number for a unit they make that divides the input pulse to 1/4 so 80k now becomes 20K and is within the units sensing zone. So now you can drive your cruise off of the VSS signal. I will let you know more as I get it hooked up and running.

One thing I would like to add is that I have adapted a control set from a 85 goldwing 1500 it is pretty much a wire swap install and drives my cruise like the factory switch assembly from Rostra. The color coding and signals are the same for the Audiovox so it stands to reason you could use it for this install as well. I plan to do a detailed install explanation when it is up and running 100%.

Here is a link the the control switch pics if your interested

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4995/blackbird.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/853/blackbird1.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3949/blackbird2.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6108/blackbird3.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8573/blackbird4.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6441/blackbird5.jpg

No XX its not a speedo issue as in needing correction, the pulse rate of our bikes is 80K per mile. Systems can't read it so unless you have a kit that can also use the tach signal you can't install it. The audiovox CCS100 uses both but it can have it's issues because of vacuum.

Skull The unit I picked up is from Global Cruise AKA Rostra controls. They make the Vacuum and a DC stepper servo drive P/N 250-1316. I will be doing an in depth install page with pics if anyone is intrested in installing the same unit. You will also need a right control from Goldwing 1500 SE or Aspencade for the control switch. If you have LED tailights you will also need a 12V SPDT relay for the brake line ground (Violet) wire that triggers the auto disengage feature when you hit the brakes. The last item is a GM Weather Pack 4 pin connector set Male and female along with the wire connections 4 male 4 female and 8 rubber grommets that seal the wire end in. I'll have a complete parts list with numbers and where I sourced from in the install.

No XX its not a speedo issue as in needing correction, the pulse rate of our bikes is 80K per mile. Systems can't read it so unless you have a kit that can also use the tach signal you can't install it. The audiovox CCS100 uses both but it can have it's issues because of vacuum.

Most don't have any trouble with vacuum as long as they also use a canister.

Skull The unit I picked up is from Global Cruise AKA Rostra controls. They make the Vacuum and a DC stepper servo drive P/N 250-1316.

Cool. Thanks! I'm experimenting with a homegrown fly-by-wire setup on a different project, and that could be very interesting.

PM INDYERIKXX... He did the same install on his 'bird, and will know where to get the part he had to buy for it...

FWIW, I've got the vacuum version, and it's been 100% since I put the vacuum canister and check valve on it... and that's been, what... 40k miles now...

Mike

You wouldn't need to use the speedo healer to fix your speedo, I'd just use it to fix the pulse rate to the cruse. Would be very simple a diode and the speedo healer would do it. I just wouldn't install it the way they say to, I'd install it between the VSS and the cruse module. Speedo healer is designed to modify the VSS signal.

You wouldn't need to use the speedo healer to fix your speedo, I'd just use it to fix the pulse rate to the cruse. Would be very simple a diode and the speedo healer would do it. I just wouldn't install it the way they say to, I'd install it between the VSS and the cruse module. Speedo healer is designed to modify the VSS signal.

Or put a couple of T flipflops in before the vss signal goes to the cruise and you can do the same thing it needs, only for $1 in parts.

Figured I would go with an off the shelf item especially after I found out they support bikes and warranty thier product. I wanted to make this as easy as possible for others to duplicate. I was looking at an Octal divider chip for the VSS but after talking with Tom found out keeping the rate high helps the resolution of the system. He did recommend backing all the setting down to the minimum and possibly using the V8 setting to soften up the response. Our power to rate is so high it doesn't take much throttle to up or down the speed. Tom said those settings should make it real smooth. I have heard good things about the audiovox system to but I know first hand that if you have any issues forget them helping. The minute you mention motorcycle they shutdown. I also think they are getting out of the cruise kit buiseness. So once the current stock is depleated they are gone. I may be wrong but if not we have a alternate route. I have seen the stepper motor kit for 165.00 the switch I got from a salvage yard for 50 the connector cost 30 the relay 10 and the converter for 44.

Total cost 272.00 and figuring it will be worth every penny. I have heard good things about the Vacuum kit so figure this will be a great add on. Next is the rest of the suspension with a good seat for me and the misses when we ride 2 up then a coms system

PM INDYERIKXX... He did the same install on his 'bird, and will know where to get the part he had to buy for it...

FWIW, I've got the vacuum version, and it's been 100% since I put the vacuum canister and check valve on it... and that's been, what... 40k miles now...

Mike

I assume you got the Audiovox ccs100? Does it work on the XX without the additional vacuum canister?

I've got the vacuum version, and it's been 100% since I put the vacuum canister and check valve on it... and that's been, what... 40k miles now...

I assume you got the Audiovox ccs100? Does it work on the XX without the additional vacuum canister?

Reading is fundamental.

I guess you think you are smart. But where did bartonmd said he's using ccs100?

I must miss it.

Do you anything else useful to add?

I've got the vacuum version, and it's been 100% since I put the vacuum canister and check valve on it... and that's been, what... 40k miles now...

Reading is fundamental.

I guess you think you are smart. But where did bartonmd said he's using ccs100?

I must miss it.

Here.

That's in another post. Am I supposed to search all the posts before I ask?

Do you anything else useful to add?

Always proofread to make sure you don't any words out.

Sure. You too. You left a word out... :-)

Damn, come on over and let me buy you a beer...

That's in another post. Am I supposed to search all the posts before I ask?

Ah, you are learning, Grasshopper. :icon_biggrin:

Damn, come on over and let me buy you a beer...

Drinks are on me, but you have to pay for the cab. :icon_biggrin: