CBR1100XX.org Forum

GSXR Clutch not disengaging all the way

02XXCA

Well I was checking out the bike and with it on the stand and the clutch all the way in I can't get the wheel to stop spinning, the bike dosn't die if I hit the rear brake, so is that ok. I checked some of the GSXR forums and they said that the clutch plates could be sticking, and may need to warmthem up to unstick them. I much prefer a hydraulic cluth, no adjusting needed.

With the clutch in, if you lightly touch/drag the tire with your shoe, will it come to a stop fairly easily?

I've seen bikes, newish and old that will do that while on center stand. Even try it on your '02, probably will turn at least a very slightly....(???)

For a more technical answer... some others better stand up :icon_biggrin: .

With my XX and the Wing, when the oil is cold (thick), the wheel will spin because the clutch plates are in oil (wet clutch). When it warms up the wheel will stop. As matter of fact, if you leave a bike without starting it for a few months, make sure that you are sitting on it before putting it in gear. I do know that. :icon_surprised:

Well, I think I figured it out, I found the third adjustment point and was able to get it adjusted the way I think it should be, the tires still turns with the cluth engaged but does stop with a little brake pressure.

The steels in the clutch assy' may also be slightly warped. Just enough so as it drags as you describe. Also, as others have said, the engine needs to be warm(the oil at least).

How many miles are on it???

I have seen the clutch basket get little groves worn in the fingers that hold the fiber plates and they are just enough to hold the plates together and cause the problem you are mentioning.

(remedy) pull the clutch basket off or just the plates out and with a hand file nock the ridges off the clutch basket then reassemble it will work like new...

Chris, where was the third adjustment point? One of my DRZ400's clutch won't fully disengage. I suspect I need a new clutch cable.

There was a plastic plug on the metal cover where the clutch cable goes and it is an adjustment of the push rod that you can adjust in and out