CBR1100XX.org Forum

I plan on installing my Dual Star heated grips.

Aurora

I plan on installing my Dual Star heated grips.

Any words of advice?

Do the wire leads get messed up being jammed between the grip and the handle bar controls.

I doesn't seen like there is enough room too slide the rubber grip over the heat pad being wrapped around the throttle on one side anr the additional rubber sleeve on the other side.

Thx,

Bob

I've put them on without any issue, just be careful routing the wires between the grip and the controls. As long as you keep in mind you need the wire to make a more gradual turn while sticking on the grip heaters you should be fine.

Use a relay and switch for them to be safe.

Were you able to get the solid state controller? I ordered on last year, but they said they were on backorder. I have called several times since then and they seem pretty unconcerned about it. My advice: get a solid state controller. The 2 position switch is a LOT cheaper, but the "low" position is way too hot to leave on except in really cold weather.

I am not real comfy with the wire coming off the throttle grip either, but Ihave not had any problems with it.

You're gonna LOVE the toasty hands!

You might want to put a layer of tape or heat shrink tubing around the left grip to keep it from using the bar as a heat sink (the right side has the throttle tube as the insulator). This will help keep the temps of both grips about the same.

On occasion, you may want to warm up your grips a bit before trying to install them (hair dryer/heat gun, hot water). This will allow you a bit more stretch to fit them on easier. I don't recommend any spray lubricant inside the grips as it may dissolve the adhesive on the elements.

You might want to put a layer of tape or heat shrink tubing around the left grip to keep it from using the bar as a heat sink (the right side has the throttle tube as the insulator). This will help keep the temps of both grips about the same.

On occasion, you may want to warm up your grips a bit before trying to install them (hair dryer/heat gun, hot water). This will allow you a bit more stretch to fit them on easier. I don't recommend any spray lubricant inside the grips as it may dissolve the adhesive on the elements.

If I don't use any lubricant, such as hair spray, how does one slide the grip over the element/clip on? I don't have compressed air.

Hairspray works dandy as lube and glue. Three sets on three bikes without any issues. Don't jamb the grip against the switch cluster too hard. Notching the rubber slightly with a razor or exacto has worked to help get free movement. Dremel and bit makes a neater job. Use a Q-tip with a tiny bit of Vaseline to lube the area of the switchcluster that the wire lightly rubs turning the throttle after the hairspray has set.

If I don't use any lubricant, such as hair spray, how does one slide the grip over the element/clip on? I don't have compressed air.

I do.

Bring it over tomorrow and we'll put them on.