CBR1100XX.org Forum

Element bluetooth helmet

Having just obtained an Element (made by O'Neal) bluetooth helmet two days ago, I gotta say (with nothing in it for me) that this helmet is awesome! Flawless linking to cellphone & ipod (I use a Sony bluetooth adapter/transmitter $38 for the ipod) with easy to use one-hand controls. Volume is perfect, even at high speeds, and phone conversations are, if anything, too easy. Microphone transmits no noise ... people have no idea im on a motorcycle. Music is auto-killed to accomodate phone and then when phone call is over, music resumes where left off.

The only thing i haven't tried yet is rider-to-rider linking.

The only thing i haven't tried yet is rider-to-rider linking.

I'll be looking forward to your report. My wife and I use the Cardo Rider

Team Set Bluetooth rider-to-passenger comm system and we're not 100%

satisfied with it. When it comes time to replace our helmets (maybe two

years or so), I would consider the Element if it works well.

Tested the rider to rider communication today with a buddy who went and got the identical helmet. having had the chatterbox set-up before, I vastly prefer this helmet. After "linking" the helmets, the touch of a button opens the line of communication. Audio is phenominal. The best part is that it is an "open" line of communication where one can talk "over" the other - unlike chatterbox which is more like a CB - one talks, then you have to wait to clear the line for the other. With these helmets, it's like having a normal conversation ... no taking turns necessary.

It's range seemed to be maxxed out at about 100' where it started to break up. The two of us (or others who can keep up) typically ride in formation where this distance isn't a problem. For those who want to talk to others they can't see .... stick with chatterbox or its equivalent.

Sound is great .... transmits effortlessly ... no shouting or "push to talk" required. Very clear. I imagine this would be fantastic for rider/passenger set-ups too.

...I imagine this would be fantastic for rider/passenger set-ups too.

Thanks for the report! We'll definitely be looking at this helmet when replacement time

comes around. Maybe replace them a little bit early just to get the better system. :icon_evilgrin:

Its much quieter than my carbon fiber HJC, not quite as quiet as my Shoei RF-800 ... all said more on the quiet side than windy. Up to 60, pretty quiet ... 60+ gets a little more noise the faster you go (guess that makes sense :). Pretty quiet under 60 or so. The volume on the speakers when playing the ipod via BT is adequate up to about 85 ... after that, the music volume & quality begins to get lost in the wind. Surprisingly good base with these speakers.

I haven't tried it with ear plugs .... no where near that noisy to want them. My HJC a different story. - for that i used ear buds jammed in my ear canals that blocked most wind noise & provided really good tunes despite the speed.

This helmet has the panel that velcros under your chin to further reduce wind noice & mic interference. It works pretty well. Not much wind noise at legal or close to legal speeds. I emphasize the "sport" part of sport touring when I ride, so I am wondering if I can plug my earbuds' jack into the jack for the helmet's speakers to get the benefit of earbuds jammed in my ears with the great BT qualities and the intercom functions of this helmet. Would only want to do that for long distances at sustained high speeds - i.e. the way I like to ride.

For legal - or off-track - riding, there really is minimal wind noise with this helmet.