CBR1100XX.org Forum

VFR spec Helis on a Bird

Toynut

Recently I asked if anyone has installed the VFR spec Helis on their Bird yet. I spoke to Heli on the availability of the XX-spec Helis and they said that they are currently in the process of changing the tooling and design of their bars and will make a new improved version available in the near future.

I ordered a set of VFR spec units to try to see the improvement in comfort over the XX spec bars I already have installed on the bike. I also have a set of LSL kit that I never installed along with a set of Convertibars. I figured the Helis may be aesthetically more correct (I do like the Gilles Variobar kits, however).

Anyway, I had already installed a complete set of +2 inch longer lines on the bike when I installed a Galfer kit a couple of years ago. I also had Motion pro make me a 2 inch longer set of throttle cables that are still in the package as I did not need them with the XX-spec Helis.

I received the bars today and have a picture of them along with the XX spec Helis and stock bars for comparison. The VFR bars seem to have about an inchh more setback than the XX spec bars looking down at them from the top in relationship to the center of the fork tube bore (at least at the base of the bars), and about two inches more setback than the stock clip ons.

The stock bars measured from the top of the tube nearest the bore line and the top of the clamp ring surface is approximately 1.410 inches.

The XX-spec Helis, measured the same way rise approximately 1.910 inches.

The VFR-spec Helis are even taller, and measure 3.275 inches. They appear to be of the newer design which is to be applied to the future version of the XX bars and appear to be substantially more robust. The collar uses a single set screw and is shorter in height the XX-spec Helis. The pictures were set up to show the bars relatively parallel on the top view and the bases were basically on the same plane in the horizontal photo. As you can see the VFR bars appear to have a bit more downward bend (acute angle) in the tubes (similar to the stock clip ons), than the XX-spec Helis.

I believe that the throttle cables will have to be changed for this application. I currently have a GIVI touring screen on the bike and will have to watch the clearance to the "wings" on the screen for hand and control clearance.

Here are some pictures for comparison:

post-2449-1240534167.jpg

post-2449-1240534426.jpg

post-2449-1240534616.jpg

I did a very similar setup using the VarioBars with the longer Busa risers. Also had a Givi touring screen. Motion Pro made me a set of 2" longer lines and I made my own brake lines with Russell components. I did have to trim the screen in the wing area and had to grind material off the bottom of both master cylinders in order to rotate the levers to a position that felt good. Sounds like you are on the right track.

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered a set of VFR spec units to try to see the improvement in comfort over the XX spec bars I already have installed on the bike. I also have a set of LSL kit that I never installed along with a set of Convertibars. I figured the Helis may be aesthetically more correct (I do like the Gilles Variobar kits, however).

Wow! You've got like $1200 in clip ons and handle bars! Not including lines or cables. Let me know if ya wanna get rid of any of those cheap...

they look almost as twice as high as the xx Helis. be interesting tosee the finished product.

did they come with little tasels to hang out the ends

Wow! You've got like $1200 in clip ons and handle bars! Not including lines or cables. Let me know if ya wanna get rid of any of those cheap...

:icon_doh:

Sure..........................

Right after my wife reads your posting!! :icon_whistle:

Here are some installed pics:

I do have my fork tubes raised a bit, but the Helis are currently raised to a point where they would be on a normal bird for comparison purposes. The Traxxion front end was set up a bit too firm and the adjusters don't allow me to set my front sag correctly while keep the right suspension geometry for quicker steering.

I did have to add a longer set of Spiegler brake lines (I ordered +4, but, I think +3 would have worked out nicely), the clutch length (which is already +2inches from the speigler GB) seems to be okay, but I may install the new clutch line (+4) anyway.

The stock throttle cables are a bit tight, but the engine rpms are still steady at full lock. If I can't reroute them a bit, I will install the +2 longer ones I got from Motion Pro.

In summary;

The overall install is very similar to the final control position of the LSL bar conversion while still retaining the look of clip ons.

post-2449-1241971996.jpg

post-2449-1241972071.jpg

Looking good Al. They clear the screen also at full lock?

Yep, no clearance problems at all with the Givi touring screen. I have not installed a stock screen to check for clearance, though.

• 2 weeks later...

These are the "new" VFR spec bars, and not the "new" XX spec bars? I have the Spiegler 2+ over kit from 2005 group buy installed. Would these bars require the 3" longer hoses and longer Motion Pro cables? How about a few pics from the front and maybe a view across the tank.

Thanks