CBR1100XX.org Forum

chains

scott s.

After Ed's handcuff thread in the Pub... I was kinda hoping this was a bondage thread....

Sigh.

Stock is DID 530 ZVM2 110 links, as previously mentioned. There are other brands out there, but make sure you get one that's got the proper tensile strength for the XX's engine.

Take a peek at your front sprocket, it probably should be replaced too. The rear sprockets are made of some uber metal that never seems to wear, but the front does wear a bit. The OEM front sprocket has built in rubber damper that is supposed to reduce noise. If you're replacing the front sprocket, I suggest you look into an 18T front, it will set your speedometer up almost spot on accurate, makes 1st and 2nd gear usable in the twisties, and slightly improve your gas mileage on longer rides.

Traditionally, White Buffalo Racing has a pretty good price for both the chain and the front sprocket if you're not going OEM.

+1 what Hobie said.

Many on-line companys send the chain as a 120 link, you cut to length. Measure first before installing. A dremel tool with cutoff wheel breaks a chain easily.

I like the OEM front sprocket, but will probably go to up 1 tooth next chain so it will be aftermarket.

Get a rivet chain master link, not a clip style. Clips don't seem to last on a big, powerfull bike. And replacing a crank case because the chain busted it doesn't look fun.

Do a search for riveting tools. There was a thread on a inexpensive rivet tool. Or get a Motion Pro Jumbo like I did. Expensive, but works well.

+1 what Hobie said.

Many on-line companies send the chain as a 120 link, you cut to length. Measure first before installing. A Dremel tool with cutoff wheel breaks a chain easily.

I like the OEM front sprocket, but will probably go to up 1 tooth next chain so it will be aftermarket.

Get a rivet chain master link, not a clip style. Clips don't seem to last on a big, powerful bike. And replacing a crank case because the chain busted it doesn't look fun.

Do a search for riveting tools. There was a thread on a inexpensive rivet tool. Or get a Motion Pro Jumbo like I did. Expensive, but works well.

I got mine from Sprocket Center and the chain tool from MikesXS.net. I went for the Stealth 16/46 combo but have since returned to an OEM 17T front as the 3rd gear power wheelies were fun for a while but the gearing was just too short :icon_surprised:

3rd gear power wheelies were fun for a while but the gearing was just too short :icon_surprised:

I take it you're pretty close to sea level? I'm running -1 front and stock rear, and I need to clutch it up in 2nd (power wheelies in 1st are easy)... I'm at about 7000 feet above sea level tho so that may have a small effect

3rd gear power wheelies were fun for a while but the gearing was just too short :icon_surprised:

I take it you're pretty close to sea level? I'm running -1 front and stock rear, and I need to clutch it up in 2nd (power wheelies in 1st are easy)... I'm at about 7000 feet above sea level tho so that may have a small effect

Yeah Perth, Western Australia so pretty much sea level :icon_surprised: Going back to the 17/46 I can still get the front up under power in 2nd about 1/2 the time (just need to get the timing right) even with my 135kg on board :icon_evilgrin:

Lifting the front in 1st is just 1/2 throttle and then open her up on the change into 2nd and I can carry it quite a way :icon_biggrin:

The 16/46 was fun for a while but 1st was just mental and I was ALWAYS hitting the limiter :icon_eek: Even when going through the gears it felt like a 2ST the way the revs would suddenly rocket from ~4500>10500 :icon_duh:

The 17/46 feels about right as I do quite a bit of highway/higher speed roads to and from work with quite a few curves and corners so I find I get a better "pull out of the corners" low down in 2nd or 3rd without needing to change down like the stock gearing :icon_think: