CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wanted - Loom Fix Pictures

Boov

The pinned useful link fo rthe loom fix doesn't have pictures.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27323

Does anyone have pictures that show the fix?

have you looked at the loom plugs yet?

If you pull the top off you will see that there is a sets of connectors. You know those crimp wire things, like that,,,crap. "The wires gang together in sets."

If you look it is easy to see.

If you pull the top off you will see that there is a sets of connectors. You know those crimp wire things, like that,,,crap. "The wires gang together in sets."

This is why I need the pictures. I didn't want to have to ask where these things are. I assume they're somewhere between the tail light and the radiator, but I don't know what I'm looking for except that they are multi-pin connector blocks. I assume the permaent fix is just to cut out the connectors and solder the wire to eachother, is that right?

This is why I need the pictures. I didn't want to have to ask where these things are. I assume they're somewhere between the tail light and the radiator, but I don't know what I'm looking for except that they are multi-pin connector blocks. I assume the permaent fix is just to cut out the connectors and solder the wire to eachother, is that right?

Your not wrong, one is in the wire loom on the left side back by the seat and the other is up by the neck. Now they are prety hard to do without having some slack. Take the tank off, and the good way is to remove the line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator, and drain into a can. Will get almost all the gas out of the tank, if you lower it.

The connectors are a large spot in the wiring. cut the tape and you will see. Most are ground wires. In groups, green.

But some are larger wires and some in mine were not a type of wire that soldered well. Others have had to dip the wires in a puddle of solder to get them to hold. I think I took a large crimp to hold together and then filled with liquid solder.

Do you think it's risky to wait until I have a problem before I look into it? I currently don't have any issues, but I just bought the bike (from a dealer) so I don't know what has and hasn't been done on it. Also, I'm planning a 3000 mile trip this summer, so that really has to be trouble free.

Do you think it's risky to wait until I have a problem before I look into it? I currently don't have any issues, but I just bought the bike (from a dealer) so I don't know what has and hasn't been done on it. Also, I'm planning a 3000 mile trip this summer, so that really has to be trouble free.

I would sudjest that you go into the connectors and clean them and use dielectric grease on the connections inside till you have a good day and no distractions and plenty of tools,,,and beer. And re wrap with a good tape.

At what point in time does the loom problems rear their ugly head? I'm at 26K miles with nary a problem yet. At what point should I start to worry?? What's the average bike age or mileage that the problems start to show up?

At what point in time does the loom problems rear their ugly head? I'm at 26K miles with nary a problem yet. At what point should I start to worry?? What's the average bike age or mileage that the problems start to show up?

seams to be water related, pressure washing and heavy rain riding, high humidity.large temp swings, etc.

I've got over 50K ('99 model), no sign of trouble. Looking at the PDF, my first thought was that how soon this happen is directly tied to how the bike is stored. Mine is in a garage and never left out in the rain except for when I'm on trips.

If you live near the coast (salt water) or keep it outdoors (even with a cover), I'd expect this problem to crop up sooner.

Mines only been in the rain maybe a dozen times in 10 years, but I actually wash my bike with water and soap. I NEVER use a pressure washer and it's always parked in the dry. I do however live in a humid climate(Mississippi) an my garage is not climate controlled. I don't flood my bike with water when I wash it, use just enough water to get the soap off.

I guess I'll address the loom when a problem shows up.

I guess I'll address the loom when a problem shows up.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. 32K miles and I don't think this has been addressed.

My question is: How fast does this go from occational FI light indications to WALKING?

I don't think you have to worry about the loom issue leaving you stranded. Its more of an annoyance.

My FI light started flickering at about 25,000 miles, three years ago. I opened it up and the connector and contacts were very clean with no signs of corrosion. I put it back together and wrapped it with electrical tape and it remained off until about a month ago and I now have 47,000 miles. I again unwrapped it, plugged it in and out a few times and re-taped and it hasn't came back on so far. My thought is that it just needs the contacts exercised. Next time I will probably coat with some dielectric lube.