CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pair Block Off Leak?

Silverbird2

Well I almost got it put back together last night. I put the tank on and fired it up and it was making a loud strange noise from the front of the engine. The only thing that i could contribute it to is the pair block off plates leaking. I put plenty of RVT and tightened them down. I don't know what else to do to get them to seal. They are made out of aluminum and seamed to bow a little when tightening them down but i thought it was my imagination. Could this be the problem?

Any thoughts?

IIRC, there should be little relief holes drilled on the underside of the plates to allow clearance for a screw that protrudes a bit from the reed valves. If this hole wasn't there, or was misaligned, it might account for your "bowing" and present leak.

It's been awhile for me, so perhaps someone with more recent experience could confirm.

IIRC, there should be little relief holes drilled on the underside of the plates to allow clearance for a screw that protrudes a bit from the reed valves. If this hole wasn't there, or was misaligned, it might account for your "bowing" and present leak.

It's been awhile for me, so perhaps someone with more recent experience could confirm.

Thanks i did notice the notch, i will look at it again tonight.

Serves you right you AIR POLLUTERS!

I hope the EPA catches up will all of you. :icon_twisted:

If you've ever gone for a ride just for the fun of it, you were burning gasoline and destroying the environment purely for you own amusement. You own a 140 horsepower motorcycle, so you can hardly call yourself green. But you enjoy your superior attitude just because your line is in a slightly different place than others. :icon_wink:

Yep, that was it. The two little screws on the reed valve held the plate up enough to make it leak. The plates did not have a relief drilled into it so i had to drill two per plate myself. I put some sealant on them, re-installed and so far no leaks.

Thanks

Yep, that was it. The two little screws on the reed valve held the plate up enough to make it leak. The plates did not have a relief drilled into it so i had to drill two per plate myself. I put some sealant on them, re-installed and so far no leaks.

Thanks

Eventually when I get my tank off and am able to get to the PAIR valves, I'll look at them and let the guy I buy the block off plates know about it, so he can update the design.

I'm sorry you had to find it the hard way... :icon_frown:

Thanks

Eventually when I get my tank off and am able to get to the PAIR valves, I'll look at them and let the guy I buy the block off plates know about it, so he can update the design.

I'm sorry you had to find it the hard way... :icon_frown:

Yeah i was going to PM you and tell you about that before you ordered any more from him but have been busy at work.

No worries