CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch basket noise

RC Randy

I usually ride to work, and when the temp gets to about 30 and below, my clutch makes a rattle noise for the first minute or so, unless I keep the clutch lever pulled in. Sounds pretty rough.

It is a 99 with 47k, and original clutch which shows no other signs of wear other than the noise when cold. Using Mobil 1 10-40.

Not real savvy on whats inside making the noise, but should I keep the clutch lever pulled in until it quiets?

I would only worry if I had a Honda that the clutch didn't rattle :icon_rolleyes: . Never had one make it to 20K that the clutch didn't sound like that :icon_snooty: . It's a feature, not a problem. :icon_biggrin: Seems to be caused by a combination of loosening of the rivets that attach the basket to the drive gear and mechanically acceptable wear of the rubber dampers inside. My 900F has done it for over 80,000 miles now with multiple used baskets. Bird has done it for 20,000+ miles. The Wing was doing it when I bought it 18,000 miles ago. It can't be serviced with average tools or fasteners, so swapping baskets is the only possible "fix". I wouldn't be surprised that the bearings on the driven output shaft would have to be replaced as well. I'm not gonna worry about it until it sounds like a Ducati clutch... :icon_twisted: