CBR1100XX.org Forum

NEW BB owner, fan wont run???

ROXX

I just picked up a 99 BBXX with only 3700 miles on it. Even has the original Bridgestone tires on it. the bike runs amazing, but for one thing, when in traffic the fan won't kick on and it gets hot, all the way to the "H".

Can anyone point me in the direction, via photographs or an in depth description of where to look for the fan fuse?

Is there anything else that it can be?

Thanks

Keith

p.s. I tried searching and found lots of "hot" running BB's but couldn't find anything about fans that won't turn on.

Holy member # 30000+!!! Cool

With regards to your issue. I don't believe the fan not turning on is not a big deal.

The bird is a HOT running bike. It's not uncommon for it to run 220F

The fan will kick in up in that area. Have you had it up that hot and it still not turn on?

I'm not sure what the temp was because it is just a gauge that reads 'C' on the bottom and 'H on the top with no numbers.

It ran all the way up to dead on middle of the 'H' and i shut it off.

At that point the fan was still not kicking on.

Mine popped the fuse once in the middle of a huge charity ride. I kept having to drop out of line, speed up, slow down, etc. getting air through the radiator. I used the next step up on fuse size and it has not happened again. Not the correct repair, I know, but given the conditions in South Alabama, I figured I'd run with it.

Straightening out any bent fins on your radiator and clearing out any debris (rocks, leaves, dirt, etc) will also help a great deal.

Also a victim of a popped fuse. I had the foresight to replace the stock fuse with an aftermarket and it failed on me. Dug the original out of the toolbox and popped it in. Still works.

I'll also warn you, most any sportbike is the poop when it comes to cooling. Their fans are designed to kick in when they get really hot, and that doesn't do much for you in traffic when the only airflow over the radiator comes from the fan.

So far, every liquid cooled bike I've had (including my XX) has forced me to wire in a "bypass switch" for the fan. My XX overheated and blew the radiator on a cross-country trip. Ever since then, the fan just never seems to turn on from the sensor, and rather than pay $$$ for a new sensor that may or may not do the job, it's easier to just put in a manual switch and turn it on/off as I deem necessary.

It's not hard. One waterproof switch, some wire and connectors. Create a circuit from the sensor wire to a ground via the switch.

No more overheat problems (unless, as you said, your fan fuse blows).

Glad your fan is working.

Now go replace those stock tires. They are hard, slippery and worthless and will kill you. Tires are good for about 3-4 years, max.....10 is way too long.

Now go replace those stock tires. They are hard, slippery and worthless and will kill you. Tires are good for about 3-4 years, max.....10 is way too long.

Absolutely. Go get some new rubber.

And welcome. :icon_biggrin:

But they should make impressive pre-change burnouts. :icon_evilgrin:

Absolutely. Go get some new rubber.

And welcome. :icon_biggrin:

+1

But they should make impressive pre-change burnouts. :icon_evilgrin:

Doesn't that go w/o saying? :)

The fan fuse blew "again"?

I have another post going about the dashlights being dim, and now I'm wondering if they're related.

I wish I knew more about electrical???

The bike fires right up and I rode it about two hours yesterday.

Anyway tires, I'm roasting the rear tire exiting corners on public roadways at intersections, very entertaining but a little nerve racking too (ah right)!

The tires have "got to go"!

May 16th Cycle Gear will have a set of Pirelli Diablos for $189. Yes, both front & rear for that price.

Gotta keep the shiny side up for that long.

can't wait to dial in the handling (shim the shock, front springs and fork oil change).

I must say, what a great forum.

Seems like everyone really is on top of things without rude flaming going on. Very helpful guys!

been on other forums and ask questions and they treat you like your an idiot.

I may not be good at diagnosing electrical but I have mad skills in other areas.

Keith,

First, Welcome.

As Stan said, you may be in need of the wireing loom fix. I'm sure it is doccumented in the usefull / important thread section.

Also, how old is the battery? The fan draws a pretty good load, it will pull the battery down in STOP n go traffic.

I would pull the lower cowlings and check out the fan. Does it spin easily by hand, any crap in it? Those little 150 mph birds and bugs make quite the mess.

I haven't seen the dimming light thread, but a R/R or battery could be going. Another usefull thread shows troubleshooting the electrical.

Where are you? This board has many members across the world, and most are glad to pull out a meter and help.