CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB: Upgrades for the new Blackbird

Now that I have been riding my new 2002 bone stock Blackbird for a week, it is time to start shopping for add-ons and upgrades.

Looking to this forum for advice, product links or sources, or the actual items(new or used) if you members have them for sale yourselves, on the following items.

1. Windscreen - I am tall-ish (6'1") and catch a lot of wind with the stock screen.

2. Handlebars - Seems the 02 and newer VFR bars are the perference for XX riders, open to other suggestions.

3. Decals - Having the lower right side fairing re-painted and just need one decal for a silver bird of course since it is an 02

4. Exhaust - Stock right side only (prior owner had a low speed drop), open to slip-ons if they are not too much $$$

Thanks,

John Bruyn - That other John from South Florida

I just bought and installed the Sport Touring windscreen from zgoutlet.com. I love it. It's several inches taller than the stock screen and gives the bike a little more of a touring look. I'm 6-2 and the wind now catched me mid-helmet instead of under my chin.

Recieved what looks like a good link for decals from another member cbrxx.com. Good savings over other sites I found.

http://www.xtreemedecals.com

Now for the windscreen and clip-ons. May need to go new on these. Thinking about the zero gravity sport tour, but I heard the plastic is a bit thin and may flex at high speed. Anyone have good or bad experiences with this screen?

Also really like the look of VFR bars on the XX, anyone have the best link for low prices OEM Honda parts?

Don't forget! To make a truely comfortable ride you need a set of peg lowering brackets from Rich at cyclefarkles!!!

Link in my sig below

:icon_iloveyou:

Dinner on Monday night???

Don't forget! To make a truely comfortable ride you need a set of peg lowering brackets from Rich at cyclefarkles!!!

Link in my sig below

Glad you reminded me of this add-on. Do you know the the lowering brackets position your feet differently than Buell pegs? I had a set of Buell that I ordered for my VFR but never installed, so today I installed them on my Bird. They are very comfortable on my legs, but on the right the brake lever is too high and on the left the kick stand gets in the way of my foot when trying to get under the shift lever.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have the Buell pegs too.

Adjust the brake and the shift levers lower...

On my bike the shifter went down 1 tooth on the splined shaft and the brake lever was lowered as far as it would go without shortening the rod. The tab that sticks out of the kickstand is in the way a bit but I slide my foot outwards on the peg when riding and it isn't an issue...

Hope this helps...Hank

The two main differences between the Buell pegs and Daves are:

Buell pebs push you feet farther back, tilting you more forward,,, IE uncomfortable! Daves lower your feet straight down and are easily removeable for spirited riding!

Daves brackets allow you to keep your factory rubber topped peg to further improve comfort and reduce any vibes you may encounter.

Daves peg lowering brackets were the choice for the world record iron butt ride set on a Blackbird!

Buell pebs push you feet farther back, tilting you more forward,,, IE uncomfortable! Daves lower your feet straight down and are easily removeable for spirited riding!

Daves brackets allow you to keep your factory rubber topped peg to further improve comfort and reduce any vibes you may encounter.

Daves peg lowering brackets were the choice for the world record iron butt ride set on a Blackbird!

I think I will try Dave's pegs, they sound much better. I see how the shift lever is easily adjustable because it is on a spline shaft. However the foot break is only marginally adjustable via the cable bracket and the lever itself is cast aluminum which is not readily bendable.

I think I will try Dave's pegs, they sound much better. I see how the shift lever is easily adjustable because it is on a spline shaft. However the foot break is only marginally adjustable via the cable bracket and the lever itself is cast aluminum which is not readily bendable.

There have been those who have adjusted the rear brake, although it's a bit involved.

Here's a link to a PDF that has some pretty extensive instructions, although since I barely use the rear brake, I didn't adjust mine at all, and didn't notice it.

If you put them on, and don't like them, you can send them back and I'll refund the purchase price (less shipping)

I have Dave's pegs on my '99. They're great. They don't look like much of a difference when you install them, but it's definitely better riding.

+1 I love the Lowering blocks on my 98 :icon_biggrin: As for the sidestand, what I did was drill a small hole in the side up near the pivot and insert a big headed self tapper so that it pushed the SS lower and my foot cleared the lug on the side (some guys cut it off), then because it is lower and can drag when cornering hard what I did was make up a shim to go under the SS mount so that it pivots the SS in towards the bike while up :icon_think:

The SS with Self Tapper - gallery_2722_589_112185.jpg,

Stock SS position - gallery_2722_589_458779.jpg,

SS with Shim - gallery_2722_589_2549.jpg,

The Shim :icon_wink:gallery_2722_589_99490.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_150014.jpg

As for the bars I have the VFR bars but there are also Gilles VarioBars and ConveriBars :icon_think: