CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork/Handlebar/Wheel alignment

Warp11XX

This is a rather annoying little adjustment or is it just me? I ride the '92 Wing a lot too, so it makes the effect more pronounced I guess you might say. I took the whole front end off last year for head bearing replacement and fork seals. Since then, I've never quite gotten the whole handlebar alignment with the wheel so that it feels straight and true when tracking in a straight line. It's annoying as all hell to me too. It is so slight that I can't visually perceive the misalignment except the occasional view out of my peripheral vision that my left hand is slightly further forward toward the guages than my right hand. I can feel it but not see it. Every time I loosen and try to adjust, I either overshoot the center entirely or tweak it back and end up in the same if not slightly worse position. What is the actual process for aligning the triple clamps and forks that I am missing here. I've tried the loosen one clamp, bounce, re-tighten and hope it self aligns....no dice....always feels a bit off. Any easy and quick techniques that have worked for folks around here?

Thanks Redbird...I have tried loosening the axle as well, but it still seems slightly off. I've tried to convince myself that it is only a "perceptual" thing :icon_rolleyes: . It just doesn't feel the same as before I serviced the front suspension. A smarter person would have marked things before they came apart....but noooooo....I just couldn't make things THAT easy. :icon_biggrin:

I always loosen things up and go for a ride. With tools in my tankbag I snug them up as I ride along to make sure its perfect. Can't get it this exact while sitting still. :icon_whistle:

read disclaimer below also..

Actually Warp my handle bars still drive me nuts and feel as if they are tweeked while riding along. After messing with it for so long I rode it off as the crown in the road effect. Doesn't effect my riding at all.

Have you looked at the handle-bars? I had the same perception problem when I had Heli-bars. When I changed to VFR bars, the problem/feeling went away.

Stock bars (and VFR bars) have a locater "nub" on the clamp ring, but there is still a little play. Try adjusting that and see if it's enough to at least make you feel better.

• 4 weeks later...
If all else fails, whack the front wheel against the nearest tree a few times. That's worked with every dirt bike I've ever owned.

:icon_thumbsup: When all else fails, resort to violence...worked like a charm. Took three substantial whacks to the left...I think I'll give it a itsy bitsy soft whack back to the right this evening to perfect the repair :icon_biggrin: . Thanks Tim!