CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rusty Exhaust Header Studs

RXX

I just removed my stock header and noticed quite a bit of rust on the header studs. More prominent on cylinder 1 and decreasing in amount across the head. (By cylinder 1 I mean the most left hand side)

I buffed it off. Is this telling me anything?

BTW, I am sucking down, respectfully and with gratitude, some of Wisconsin's finest, Sprecher Premium Reserve. AWESOME!!

AND....... I did not see any gaskets at the head junction. I suppose I should install new ones anyway IAWSOP?

You've blown a head gasket. The bike is worthless now. Crate it up and send it to me. I'll pay the freight.

BTW, I know a trick to getting those exhaust gaskets that you don't think you have out. Or you can leave 'em in. I think Stan said he's never changed his.

You've blown a head gasket. The bike is worthless now. Crate it up and send it to me. I'll pay the freight.

BTW, I know a trick to getting those exhaust gaskets that you don't think you have out. Or you can leave 'em in. I think Stan said he's never changed his.

Yes he did, and that was after more than a dozen exhaust removals and reinstalls.

Fn king of the runon.

And the antiseize is so fn good that once is enough, but more is better.

Yeah, I am right there with ya Phillip.

This weekend is going to be so cool.

Yes he did, and that was after more than a dozen exhaust removals and reinstalls.

Fn king of the runon.

And the antiseize is so fn good that once is enough, but more is better.

Yeah, I am right there with ya Phillip.

This weekend is going to be so cool.

Same here.

Eric pretty much nailed it, Philip. I ran a die over the end of the stud to help clean up the threads, and ran a tap through the nuts before re-assembly. Anti-seize compound is your friend! I wouldn't sweat the exhaust gaskets.

BTW, I am sucking down, respectfully and with gratitude, some of Wisconsin's finest, Sprecher Premium Reserve. AWESOME!!

First, what they said. :icon_thumbsup:

I'm glad your enjoying the beer.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I did notice some of the nuts were on much looser than the others. Probably the result of uneven compression of the gaskets. I will try the heat up, cool down, tighten technique, Eric.

I will install the new gaskets anyway. They are way too small for cock rings, at least for me. I will save the money nexxt time. I will look more closely and soberly for them.

Hobi, I LIKE the die idea of yours. I do not have a set of metric tap & dies. Shit, guess I'll have to make a trip to sears this weekend.

As for the high temp anti seize, do I put it on, tighten, then heat, then tighten again? I guess what I am asking is does it set up or anything?

Can I say "Parts Bike?"

Sorry to say, but in my expert opinion, IT'S SHOT DUDE.

Good News, I'll take it off your hands for only shipping costs to SF.

...And for the beer... YUM...

Have one of these for me...

ipa_pint_n_pint_warm.jpg

One a serious note, my '01 with 60k miles looks about the same. WD40 the headers, change the plugs if needed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

As for the high temp anti seize, do I put it on, tighten, then heat, then tighten again? I guess what I am asking is does it set up or anything?

Here's what I would recommend...

http://www.gasoila.com/products/items/tgasc-nickel.html

The Nickel based formula is the best for High Temp applications.... just look at the temp rating,

....and you just brush it on the threads prior to putting the Nut on. No it does not "Set-up", it will stay pliable, and will prevent you studs from rusting in the future.

The heat and re-torque, is standard protocol on Exhaust bolts.

Eric pretty much nailed it, Philip. I ran a die over the end of the stud to help clean up the threads, and ran a tap through the nuts before re-assembly. Anti-seize compound is your friend! I wouldn't sweat the exhaust gaskets.

Boy, that was GREAT! It really cleaned up the nuts. I had buffed the rust off the studs, so they were already cleaned. But the nuts were really rusted on the insides. Thanks!

I guess I won't have to part her out after all.......