CBR1100XX.org Forum

Any clutch up- grades for the XX

kneedragger

thanks , just curious, not thier any thing wrong with the factoryset-up. just exploring

I totally understand if is close to time to replace something I always try and upgrade. Maybe someone who races will chime in and give some more info on the clutches they are using.

What year is the bike?

97-98 had a 5 spring clutch while 99 and later had 6.

The 99 and later had 1 less steel and fiber, IIRC.

Guy's who Turbo the bikes add HD springs only to the early model, but replace the 99 and later with a lock up. eliXXer had a clutch mod for the later model.

Other than that, I always prefer OEM parts to aftermarket when replacing clutches.

Hank

Other than a few guys who are drag racing I don't know of anyone bothering. The stock clutch is a damn good strong setup.

I could be wrong on the numbers but I think a few of the drag racers claimed the stock one was good to about 350HP.

Nope, only good up to about 235 hp.

One can use heavier springs made for the VTX. It's the same 6 spring clutch as the later year XX.

I went with aftermarket VTX springs and used an earlier 5 spring XX clutch basket on my 2002.

Other than a few guys who are drag racing I don't know of anyone bothering. The stock clutch is a damn good strong setup.

I could be wrong on the numbers but I think a few of the drag racers claimed the stock one was good to about 350HP.

Nope, only good up to about 235 hp.

One can use heavier springs made for the VTX. It's the same 6 spring clutch as the later year XX.

I went with aftermarket VTX springs and used an earlier 5 spring XX clutch basket on my 2002.

Thanks for the correction... so basically stock clutch should be fine until you boost the bike.

I use one of Brock Davidson's "clutch cushions" in my dragbike which means I was only running 6 fiber plates. This worked fine for the heavier springs that come with the cushion and using a stock motor. When I went to a slick and wheelie-bar set-up and a lock-up clutch, I needed a little more durability. MTC Engineering makes chrome-plated steel drive plates for the Hayabusa that fit my bird and because they are thinner I was able to get the 7th plate back in.

These plates are the toughest things I have ever seen. You can turn the fiber plates into charcoal and these steels will not warp!! The guys running slider-type clutches swear by them. MTC's fiber plates also seem to have a lot more friction than stock. I've got my spring pressure set so light I can pull the clutch lever in very easily with my pinky finger and it still won't slip. :icon_eek:

What year is the bike?

97-98 had a 5 spring clutch while 99 and later had 6.

The 99 and later had 1 less steel and fiber, IIRC.

Guy's who Turbo the bikes add HD springs only to the early model, but replace the 99 and later with a lock up. eliXXer had a clutch mod for the later model.

Other than that, I always prefer OEM parts to aftermarket when replacing clutches.

Hank

So waht real difference does it make between a 97/8 clutch and the later models? Are the earlier ones tougher then? Does the extra spring on the 99> make the clutch more progressive? :icon_confused: