CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ohlins Rear Shock

where to get one that is resonably priced (I know there is no such thing, you know what i mean). It is time to do the suspension on mine. The front is worn out and i need to do them both.

Not what you asked, I know, but you might consider Penske. Their "sport shock" is considerably cheaper than an Ohlins and also upgradable. Properly set up it's all you'll ever need on the street. If you buy it from a suspension shop they'll usually set it up for you (spring and valving) without charging any more than retail, and sometimes less. Of course, the last is true of Ohlins as well.

where to get one that is resonably priced (I know there is no such thing, you know what i mean). It is time to do the suspension on mine. The front is worn out and i need to do them both.

Not what you asked, I know, but you might consider Penske. Their "sport shock" is considerably cheaper than an Ohlins and also upgradable. Properly set up it's all you'll ever need on the street. If you buy it from a suspension shop they'll usually set it up for you (spring and valving) without charging any more than retail, and sometimes less. Of course, the last is true of Ohlins as well.

+1 on Rick...

After talking with Rick @ Cogent, I ordered the Penske Sport shock and Fork springs last week. He thought that would be a good first step for me to start off with. He told me that once I get this on and ride with it awhile, I'll know if I need any further bells and whistles, but for my type of riding, he thought this might just do it. Nevertheless I can still add some of those bells and whistles down the road, if need be and this fit into my budget right now.

Think I paid about $550 or so for the shock and about $140 for the RT Fork spgs, bushings, fork seals, and wipers. I'll do the fork mods myself, Rick will dial in the suspender with appropriate spg and such. So all told just around $700 or so, not including the 5wt fork oil I'll get here local. I figured anything has got to be better than my currently clapped out over 40K mileage suspension...

+1 for the Penske. I bought an 8983 late last year and I cannot believe what an incredible difference it made. In fact, it made the standard front end look so poor that I upgraded that too. Now it REALLY handles!

I bought mine from Rick and Joyce Tannenbaum at Cogent Dynamics: http://motocd.com/. Outstanding service.

They do have some nice looking hardware

They do have some nice looking hardware

Had I realised just what a difference a good shock would make compared with the honda OEM, unit, I would have replaced it years ago. To give you an example of the difference, there is a fantastic twisty hill not far from home. The main thing which limited my speed on several corners was ripples in the surface caused mainly by the local logging trucks. I used to get bad wheel patter when leaned over to the extent that the back wheel would lose grip. Since fitting the Penske, it reacts so well that the road feels almost smooth and my control is just so much better. It's probably stating the obvious in retrospect, but I'd go for suspension over any other tuning mod such as aftermarket cans and Power Commander - it will have a better impact on performance.

Geoff

I bought mine from More Power Racing.com for 840, that was the cheaptest price I seen, also with free shipping, then I sent it back to ohlins in NC for an upgrade. They changed out the shock body, re sprung it, and made it ride height adjustable for another 230 bucks. So for 1070 I have a FULLY adjustable ohlins. And for another 2300 dollars call dan kyle up and you can get some ohlins fully adjustable R&T forks!

+1 for the Penske. I bought an 8983 late last year and I cannot believe what an incredible difference it made.

Another +1 for the 8983. I put one on a year ago and at the same time had

GP Suspension in Oregon do a fork rebuild/upgrade. What a difference the

two made! Handles like a different (better) bike entirely.

I bought mine from More Power Racing.com for 840, that was the cheaptest price I seen, also with free shipping, then I sent it back to ohlins in NC for an upgrade. They changed out the shock body, re sprung it, and made it ride height adjustable for another 230 bucks. So for 1070 I have a FULLY adjustable ohlins. And for another 2300 dollars call dan kyle up and you can get some ohlins fully adjustable R&T forks!

I was actually thinking of sending the forks to DK. I don't think 2300.00 is going to be spent on them but i feel after talking to him he will get me where i want to be with them. He is not a big race tech fan.

Just checked MPR and they are asking $920.00.