CBR1100XX.org Forum

Drive chain reversal

Guest cudgel

If you went to the trouble of reversing the direction of travel on your bike's chain (at about half the mileage expeted of it) would it pay off in extra life for the chain? I know, you'd either have to sacrifice another connecting link or remove the swingarm to get the chain off in one piece, but if we're going to be living in a third world country soon maybe we need to learn what people do in those places where spare parts are whatever you can make fit. Opinions?

I doubt it. A correctly aligned chain should wear even on both sideplates. The rollers are well,,,, Rolling.

On that other site, a guy posted up last year with problems during his trip through somewhere in the old USSR. He had run his bike through

mud so deep that his chain was slipping on the sprockets. He ordered a new chain, but just HAD to take one more ride. So the day before his

new chain arrived, his old one broke and destroyed the case.

We could always go to the tractor supply and buy some 530 chain and use that, but many things just need to be kept clean and oiled, and

adjusted to specs. Attention to details is often cheaper than cheaper parts.

Right you are, the 'Bird is not a bike to take chances with like that. Mine was a more generic question concerning some of the beater bikes we've had or may have in the future. Inquiring minds, you know.

I know we used to turn our sprockets around to get a few more miles from them.

Yeah I did this once about 22 years ago on my first bike (250cc Yammie)

I bought a couple Chinese dirt bikes for the kids a few years back. I love this lubrication quote from the manual.

" It is not permitted to use ordinary machine oil, vegetabel oil or crude castor oil"

I guess they don't want the bike to smell like stir fry. :icon_biggrin:

I bought a couple Chinese dirt bikes for the kids a few years back. I love this lubrication quote from the manual.

" It is not permitted to use ordinary machine oil, vegetabel oil or crude castor oil"

I guess they don't want the bike to smell like stir fry. :icon_biggrin:

That reminds me of the Kubota tractor I ran years ago. On the inside of the trap door covering the radiator cap was a printed factory warning about operating the tractor "in the brazing sun". Always good for a laugh when checking coolant.

OK- expeted = expected, sorry I've fired that typist. If you ride a beater bike and it's only transportation you may be looking for ways to stretch a dollar. Yeah, most of us have turned sprockets around on these old bikes but I never tried turning the chain, too. If you've replaced a couple chains you could guess at a mileage estimate for turning everything. Probably a waste of time, but who knows? I've seen guys take a link out just to get back on the road.

TuffGuy

The term stretch should never be used with chains. Chains wear the pins rollers and bushes, the sideplates are high tensile steel and will not stretch they will break first. I know you frequently hear people talking about a stretched chain butit does not happen.

JohnS

TuffGuy

The term stretch should never be used with chains. Chains wear the pins rollers and bushes, the sideplates are high tensile steel and will not stretch they will break first. I know you frequently hear people talking about a stretched chain butit does not happen.

JohnS

High tensile does not mean it will not stretch. It means it will not break or reach its elastic limit unless under very high stress.

For timing chains on cars that have to last many thousands of miles, they pre-stretch, because they cannot find a material that will not stretch.

I believe you are right though, most wear comes from rivets, pins, bushings, ect, wearing. Slop in the chain comes from the stack up of those tolerances too.

This got me thinking, so i did some quick google'ing on chains. http://chain-guide.com/basics/2-1-1-elasti...n-breakage.html

Interesting, even though alot of it is talking about elastic deformation.