CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fucking Chevy

slowrideCX

My wife's 2000 s-10 Blazer is already on it's 2nd radiator and this morning I noticed it is leaking again. :icon_wall:

The only good thing is that it has a lifetime warrenty. I really didn't need to pull this POS apart again in less than a year.

The radiator is aluminum with plastic tanks crimped on. Fucking junk!!!!!!!!! :icon_mad:

The dam thing only has 80K on the clock and I have put more $$$ into it than my 92 jeep with 193K on the clock.

Rant over back to your regularlly schedualed program. :icon_razz:

I know you're anger is at the situation, but don't take it out on the truck!

Nearly everybody now uses aluminum radiators with crimped on plastic tanks. I don't know if you're aware of that, but from Kia to Mercedes you will find that same design.

The radiator failing has nothing to do with the vehicle, it's whoever made the replacement radiator you put in. I'd put that frustration towards the radiator manufacturer. Go whoop ass on the guy at Autozone or wherever you bought it!

You'll really be pissed when you have to put a fuel pump in it. It's about 3 times the cost of that radiator and probably twice as long as a radiator install.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a 1998 Astro that has had to have a lot done to it in the last few years.

Fuel pump

Rearend

A/C compressor, expansion valve, accumulator

Thermostat

Both window motors

All shocks replaced

Center link, pitman arm, idler arm, tie rod ends

All of those were failures, not replaced due to maintenance.

But, I only bought the thing for $500 to begin with, so go figure it would need that kind of work. I've also replaced the radiator and changed it over the electric fans, cold air intake, and a 200 amp alternator for the massive stereo system. I can put that sucker on the road and pull a trailer cross-country if I wanted to, even with the 280,000+ on the clock on the original engine and transmission. Dexcool kills parts and GM fuel pumps are vulnerable to overheating if you don't keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas in it. It's just one of those things. Kinda like Ford can't build V10's and Dodge can't build an automatic transmission. I'll take my chances with fuel pumps and radiators.

My wife's 2000 s-10 Blazer is already on it's 2nd radiator and this morning I noticed it is leaking again.

If it is really cold where you live right now, check for the leak when it warms up. It might not be there. I also hate the new style radiators but have seen them leak after starting the car when it's really cold out but not leaking when it warms up.

When our '97 Jeep Wrangler sprang a leak a second time after one repair to the crimped aluminum to plastic tank gasket area, I bought an old-fashioned, soldered tank, brass radiator through our local radiator shop. It was a little heavier, but bolted right in and no more leaks.

Made the repair tonight after work. took me about 2 hours. Not so bad. the radiator came from Napa and has a lifetime warrenty so I am taking the old one back after work tomorrow.

If it is really cold where you live right now, check for the leak when it warms up. It might not be there. I also hate the new style radiators but have seen them leak after starting the car when it's really cold out but not leaking when it warms up.

I think you may be on to something there. It looks like the gasket to the plastic tank was leaking but today was not that cold and my wife drove the truck and it was low on coolant after only 20 miles. In my eyes it shouldn't leak no matter what temp it is!!! Under warrenty it gets replaced.

Now I need to change the front brakes my wife thinks she is driving in a race and has to dive into the corners hard on the brake ... :icon_twisted:

Any thoughts on ceramic pads????

I am installing a set for the first time. I usally use semi metalic but the dust has been horrible.

Hope the truck lasts a few more years I can't afford a new one yet. :icon_redface:

plastic

aluminum

copper

cast

steel

all have different temps they expand and contract at

I know what your dealing with I broke my radiator in my new pickup on the mounting tab. Piece of shit plastic. Dealership said I was too hard on the truck.. Sorry thought it was a goddamn truck and the 4X4 OFF-ROAD stickers on the side meant it was OK to leave pavement and drive on a dirt road with a few bumps :icon_redface: How about I trade it in on a fucking Prius to make sure I never leave the pavement.

Wifes 97' Thunderbird with the 4.6 V8 had a plastic intake and plastic thermo housing. I got the joy of watching it blow out a 2 inch chunk from the housing. They had a recall on them and the wife never got the letter. :icon_rolleyes:

Funny how the replacement ones give you a choice of plastic or aluminum housings.. :icon_think: Dealership also wanted $300 for the part and 8 hours to replace it cause it was past the recall date. I bought the part for $300 and replaced it in 3hrs.. :icon_whistle:

What dumbfuck actually thought it was a good idea to use plastic on everything under a hood?

Plastic is cheaper, easier to mold, and does not heat soak like metals do. That's why most companies that make a cold air intake make it out of ABS or plastic and not metal, that way underhood heat does not soak in and increase air temperature like the nice, pretty, chrome ones do.

Intake manifolds that do not have coolant running through them seem to hold up well on an engine and make for a more consistent air temperature going into the engine, which increases horsepower and fuel economy.

I know why they use it on alot of things under the hood, but come on the radiator? thermo housings.. I remember my dads old pickup that had 50 damn plastic vacuum lines under the hood. After about 4 or 5 yrs they would crumble in your hand or snap in half at the slightest touch.

I hate my K&N CAI on my Charger.. Looks cheap being designed in plastic where some of the Air Hammers and Air Raid are done alot better.

No problem as I plan on getting rid of it and putting a Shaker on it.. :icon_biggrin: