CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon Storm ST (rear) Review

chromeisking

I replaced my worn out Pirelli rear tire with an Avon Storm ST in OEM size, 180/55/17.

I'd heard mixed reviews about the Avon Storm ST: some loved it, some didn't. Well, I agreee with the DO NOT LIKES! :icon_sad: After riding the bike on dry pavement for over 1000 miles, I was initially pleased with the dry performance, but on a recent ST trip from Savannah, GA to Knoxville, TN, where I crossed the Applachain Mtns, in the rain, I got bad vibes from the rear tire. 42 psi is max and I was running 40 psi. While rounding a corner at a very conservative pace, the back end broke loose. Having ridden off-road for years, I was able to keep the bike upright. I was surprised, as it had been raining long enough to wash the road grime off the road, I was not cornering hard, was neutral on the throttle and I was not in the center of the lane where road grime builds up. After 28 years of street riding, and longer than that off-road, It surprised me enough that I rode like and "old grandpa" the remainder of my trip. Like I stated earler, the dry performance was great, but the traction in the rain was terrible. I called the 800 number for Avon to ask a Technician about my choice of tire pressures, but after three calls and three messages left on Vmails, they have yet to return my call. :icon_sad: BTW, did I mention my first Storm ST had a huge lump in the sidewall when the shop mounted it and put air in it? Apparently, the QC process missed it and we found a pencil eraser sized area that had no rubber on the inner portion of the tire. :icon_sad: Doesn't take me too long to figure out what NOT to buy, so Michelin Pilot Road 2s are going on next time.

Thanks for the review. Interesting that yours was slippery in the wet; I have read that many UK riders like the Avon for its wet traction. But I also read that their asphalt is a different compound that ours, so maybe that makes a difference in tire traction.

I ran an Avon last summer and found it acceptable, had no complaints in the wet or dry. I did like the fact that it resisted flatting off for more miles that other tires I have ran. It was still toast at 5500 miles though, so I have a set of PRs on now. Running three pieces of heavy luggage on my bike seems to kill my rear tire quickly, haven't gotten more than 6000 miles from any rear.

So when your rear broke loose did you let off or ride it out with throttle input? I wonder this because I have raced dirt bikes for years and typically when you slide the rear in the dirt you can just let off and regain traction, but I am afraid if I really slide the rear on my 'Bird I am going to let off by instinct then get pitched over the top!

Doesn't take me too long to figure out what NOT to buy, so Michelin Pilot Road 2s are going on next time.

I make my living with my own motorcycle-tireshop near Amsterdam (the Netherlands).

I suggest you try the new Dunlop Roadsmart instead of the Michelin. Yes, the MPR2 is great, and probably the best in the rain, but the Roadsmart is a better tire for heavy bikes like ours. It is much more stabile and predictable, and the bike steers completely neutral. The PR2 will (when pushed) make the bike move like the tirepressure is a little too low, and it has the urge to fall into corners.

The difference is not huge, buth tires are excellent, but I (and most other BB-riders here in Holland who tried both) do prefer the Roadsmart.

• 3 weeks later...
Doesn't take me too long to figure out what NOT to buy, so Michelin Pilot Road 2s are going on next time.

I make my living with my own motorcycle-tireshop near Amsterdam (the Netherlands).

I suggest you try the new Dunlop Roadsmart instead of the Michelin. Yes, the MPR2 is great, and probably the best in the rain, but the Roadsmart is a better tire for heavy bikes like ours. It is much more stabile and predictable, and the bike steers completely neutral. The PR2 will (when pushed) make the bike move like the tirepressure is a little too low, and it has the urge to fall into corners.

The difference is not huge, buth tires are excellent, but I (and most other BB-riders here in Holland who tried both) do prefer the Roadsmart.

I heard the PR2's fall more into left hand turns than right ones in Europe. Is that true? :)

j/k, NBL Helvet.

Thx for the industry view. While we are all tire experts by simply owning a bike, I always appreciate an insiders take. Don't ask me about aircraft ignition systems... You don't want to know...

I hate Storms.................. In case ya'll forgot

I'm not real wild about them, myself. I'm probably going to go with Pirelli next time around, mostly because I've had a grudge against Michelin from long before I started riding street bikes.

• 3 weeks later...
I heard the PR2's fall more into left hand turns than right ones in Europe. Is that true? :)

j/k, NBL Helvet.

Could be very true..... After all we are much more left-wing orientated than you guys in the USA..... :icon_rolleyes:

But I'll give you credit for choosing Obama.....

I have no clue what j/k or NBL means...... :icon_redface:

j/k = Just Kidding

nbl = nothing but love

And thanks for the info about the Storms.

I currently have a set of Avon AV46 and 48 (I think... It's been a bit since I looked at the markings!) on the bike, and the rear has developed a slow leak that will probably end up getting it replaced this spring.

I was thinking to buy another of the same tire to replace it, as it behaves very well in the wet, but I'd heard that they were discontinued and replaced, so...