CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help with suspension settings please

Bunbun

I'm trying to setup my suspension properly and I'm kind of at an impass and not entirely sure what I need to do to correct a problem. First and foremost, I need to either do the 6mm shim or increase my ride height. Turn in kinda sucks.

Occasionally I feel the front end want to push out a little bit. Kind of like when your front tire is low and it feels a little sluggish in a corner. Doesn't feel like that at any other time than in a corner and my tire pressure is good.

Rear feels like it also wants to push out occasionally. It has yet to actually step out, but I swear that's what it wants to do. I've only noticed it a few times and generally only when I'm leaning into a corner, right before the apex. And really only when I'm going at a pretty decent clip, but it doesn't always do it. I even went around the same corner 5 times at the exact same speed and tried to keep very good posture in order to recreate it. The first and 4th times it did it, the others felt excellent.

90% of the time, the bike now holds a line really well, feels planted and the suspension is absolutely fantastic.

I can't really fix the front, but I figure when I increase the ride height and fix the back, the front will hopefully work itself out.

Any help would be... helpful.

Thanks!

Bun

The shim should help a bit with turn in. Installing proper fork springs for your weight is another relatively inexpensive mod. Setting the sag to about 35mm on both ends will help a bunch too.

Just installed some forks with racetech springs and valves. Rear is a penske that is also very new. Just trying to get them to work together properly. Got most of it dialed in but the finer points are giving me some issues and I can't figure out if it's me or the settings.

Bun

Just installed some forks with racetech springs and valves. Rear is a penske that is also very new. Just trying to get them to work together properly. Got most of it dialed in but the finer points are giving me some issues and I can't figure out if it's me or the settings.

Bun

As XXTi has suggested - first thing is to adjust the pre-load until you have the correct sag for your weight ( regardles of OEM or aftermartet suspension )

I personally prefer 5mm more sag at the front compared with the back and am currently at 40mm front and 35mm rear.

If after you have set rider sag - the bike only sag is close to zero - I would suggest that your springs are too soft for your weight.

I didn't realize you had a Penske. The shock is adjustable for ride height. You don't need a shim.

I have a Penske 8981. IIRC, I have my rebound damping set at about the middle of the adjustment range. I run my compression damping on setting 2 of 5.