CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vuccum lead. Possible ?

Jetsetter

Ongoing problem with my bird. 03 FI

FI light was always on ,, sometimes strong,sometimes faded.

Bad bad economy.

Mate had said i was spraying fuel out my exhaust.

Appeared to be running on all 4

Had fair throttle return response,not enough that i noticed any different.

Would occasionally start ruinning rough then shut down ,, sit on the side of the road for a few minutes ,,, start up and get another 2 km out of it . Next day might be fine , next day might be same.

No fuel drip coming out of the PRV vacuum line

Removed fuel filter again from tank ,,, backflushed.

Put in some injector cleaner.

Pulled air filter.

Removed airbox to get at thge plugs, 1 & 2 looked the same , didn't expect 3&4 to look any different, the PRV vaccum is 2&3 yeah ?Oh , an wasnt going to pull the radiators to get at the plugs .

What i did notice though when i pulled the airbox was , there is a vaccum hose from the rocker cover to bottom of airbox , this was off under the airbox.

So put oit all back together and have to relearn the throttle on it ,,, if i open it like i have been i near flip the thing.

I remember when i first bought it how powerful it was ,, actually frightened me ,,, i had thought i had just gotten used to it ,,,, seems i had a huge power drop in it.

I dont believe though that the vaccum hose being off would cause all these problems ,, perhaps a combination.

Have looked thru vaccum threads and PRV ,filter threads.

Any opinions .

Remember ,, i am in Vietnam ,,,, no mechanics , no dynos ,, no real big open road sections.

Oh , on another point ,, my neighbor comes over for a beer as i am just putting it back together ,,, he says "get your bike fixed ?"

"Yeah ,, think i have"

he says" vaccum hose" rather matter of factly.

"how'd you know"

he says "I could hear it before you pulled it off the road mate"

He may or may not come back over ,, not sure ,,, I wasnt happy at this.

Cheers

The vaccuum hose you are describing is part of the PAIR system (I don't believe it's an engine vaccuum hose), and I would expect that it being off would not cause the problems you're describing. Even if it was disconnected from the airbox, it's still a free breathing apparatus.

The vaccuum lines are along the fuel rail, under the tank. You do not need to remove the airbox to get to them.

Borrowed from the service manual (available in the Usefull Threads section):

post-76-1224855381.jpg

The procedure in the manual for determining what the FI indicator is telling you basically works like this:

Start the bike on the side stand and let it idle. There's a whole set of condidtions that must be met in order for the FI indicator to actually blink. The side stand must be down and the RPMS must be under 5000. You need to count the blinks.

IF it's not blinking you can make it show you the error code by doing the following procedure:

Turn ignition switch to off

Remove the seat and rear tail cowl

Locate the service connector and short the connector with a jumper wire (see image)

post-76-1224855764.jpg

Turn ignition switch on.

The FI indicator should start blinking. count the blinks

Blinks and what they mean:

1 MAP sensor - Loose or poor contacts, short in MAP sensor wire, or faulty MAP sensor

2 MAP sensor - Loose or poor connection of the MAP sensor vaccuum hose, or faulty MAP sensor

7 Loose or poor contact on the ECT sensor, open or short circuit in the ECT censor, or faulty ECT sensor

8 Loosr or poor contact the TP sensor, open or short on the TP sensor, or a faulty TP sensor

9 IAT sensor, same as ECT and TP

10 BARO Sensor, same as ECT/TP/IAT

11 Vehicle speed sensor

12 #1 Injector connector connection/short or faulty injector

13 #2 Injector connector connection/short or faulty injector

14 #3 Injector connector connection/short or faulty injector

15 #4 Injector connector connection/short or faulty injector

16 Cam pulse generator

19 Ignition pulse generator

20 Faulty Eprom in ECM

21 Faulty O2 sensor

23 Faulty O2 sensor heater

25 Knock sensor

You can download the service manual from the Useful Thead Section and look in section 5, that's where I got this information.

Not sure why you have to pull the radiator to get at 2,3. If the air box is off.

Did you check if the PVR is leaking out the vacumn connection ,,when running?

Think you would hear the leak from the airbox to valve cover as a larger airbox noise. but a roar not a whisle.

Smell the PVR and hose. For fuel.

Don't think the airbox hose would do what you are saying.

It pulls vacumn to evcuate the crankcase.

Access the manual on here to check the proper line connections for vacumn and vents.

One other thing, just to be sure, have you been into anything before this happened, or is this the first time.

Lack of proper vacumn could cause the PVR to read lower vacumn and run richer. So might be the problem. If every thing else is good but the crank case evacuation system. And the Pair system could make the noise if still installed due to the exhaust connection, reed valves, etc.

So you might be right with what you have done. Not disagreeing with you. Just to be clear. And cover everything.