CBR1100XX.org Forum

Single side exhaust by capping one side of the exhaust pipe.

LogoMan

If you wanted a single side exhaust with just a single exhaust can on the right side of the bike, could you keep the stock header pipe and just remove the left side exhaust can and midpipe and cap off the pipe?

Aesthetics aside, would there be any performance issues with doing this?

I was wondering about the size. Doesn't seem any smaller than my Hindle which is 2" dia.

You're right about power, though. If there was a restriction it probably wouldn't show up in the range most people run the bike anyway.

Just wondering because it would seem to be a less expensive way to lose exhaust can weight without going to a different header. Of course, you'd still have the centerstand stop issue.

Of course, you'd still have the centerstand stop issue.

Lose the other side instead.

Had a VFR with left side exhaust. Dale Walker, loved it.

Maybe cut a cutout on the right, oh yeah..

Of course, you'd still have the centerstand stop issue.

Lose the other side instead.

Had a VFR with left side exhaust. Dale Walker, loved it.

Maybe cut a cutout on the right, oh yeah..

left side .............. high mount .................... sure would be a 1 off .................. sounds like a plan ......... :icon_think: ..

I know on my older CBR1000F this was the option for a slip on exhaust from two brothers. You would cap the left side and put a right side connector and muffler.

I bet it would work. The only issue I see would be the turbulence created as the exhaust races past the junction. You might get some odd harmonics that could result in power drops at the resonant RPM(s).

I bet it would work. The only issue I see would be the turbulence created as the exhaust races past the junction. You might get some odd harmonics that could result in power drops at the resonant RPM(s).

Thats what i was going to say. You might get some weird stuff going on, noise and harmonics wise. Pipes really are tuned for the bike.

If its what you want, i would try it...you don't have much to loose.

Even if it would work don't you think it would be extra loud just having one muffler, especially with something like a D&D?

and this is a bad thing?

eh whats that ??????

:icon_biggrin:

Sure you could....but exhaust sytems are designed as a system and changing the dynamics could/would make a substantial performance loss probable.