CBR1100XX.org Forum

K&N FILTER LIFE EXPECTANCY

TFT

I have had a K&N filter in my 1990 Audi V8 Quattro for about 10 years. I just went to give it its semi-annual (annual?) cleaning and it really looks like crap. Should I just replace it? How long can one expect these to last?

I have had a K&N filter in my 1990 Audi V8 Quattro for about 10 years. I just went to give it its semi-annual (annual?) cleaning and it really looks like crap. Should I just replace it? How long can one expect these to last?

mmmmmm.... V8 quattro, man I love those cars. Anyway, as long as you can clean it and re-apply the oil it'll be fine; assuming the element is in good shape, no tears or holes etc. The element itself is just a medium for the oil, so unless it's damaged you can use it forever.

Don't they have a million mile warranty?

The Audi or the K&N filter? :icon_biggrin:

The Audi has 197,000 miles on it

Then you have 800,000 miles to go on the filter. :icon_biggrin:

I consider all my jeep and street bike K&N's as life-long filters.

The obvious determining factor being a tear or actual filter damage.

Clean it well, oil it and use that rascal! (Unless its damaged...)

What else can I use besides the cleaning fluid that came with the filter? The filter is pretty much an oily mess. I may have been using too much oil on it when I recharged it last. I went ahead and installed a standard filter, but if I can get this thing cleaned and recharged I will put it back in.

What else can I use besides the cleaning fluid that came with the filter? The filter is pretty much an oily mess. I may have been using too much oil on it when I recharged it last. I went ahead and installed a standard filter, but if I can get this thing cleaned and recharged I will put it back in.

K&N cleaner and water, may have to wash it a couple times... and when you recharge it, hold the oil can about 5 inches from the element and spray a quick line along each pleat. You really don't need a lot of oil on it.