CBR1100XX.org Forum

Adding spools to the F4i - where to install?

TuffguyF4i

Hey guys.

I want to install spools onto the swingarm of the F4i so it is easier to get on to a stand.

I'm sure one of you has added spools to a bike that doesn't have a stock place to just 'bolt them in'.

Is there a safe place to drill into the swingarm??

Not sure on the F4i, on the Bird I have had swingarm spools for years with no problems. I found a spot near the end of the swingarm and drilled and tapped it.

DSC03948.JPG

That looks like a good spot. The F4i swingarm looks identical.

Did you drill through all the way through both walls on the swingarm, or just the first?

Thanks!

I'd like to add spools to my Blackbird too. I'd like to know exactly where to drill and tap. I want to drill and tap once on both sides just once :icon_think: Any way we could get a measurement or something more definate to go by?

Oh and ..Please and thank you :icon_lol:

I'd like to add spools to my Blackbird too. I'd like to know exactly where to drill and tap. I want to drill and tap once on both sides just once :icon_think: Any way we could get a measurement or something more definate to go by?

Oh and ..Please and thank you :icon_lol:

Pick a spot, hold the spool up, mark it, then drill and tap. Measure for the other side and you're good. Just make sure it's low enough that you'll lift the tire off the ground with your stand. If I were to do it again, I'd probably locate it a little further down but don't go further back or the stand will get in the way of the axle nut. BTW, this spot works with an 8mm shim. Also used red loctite when installing.

Looks like Jeff and mine are in the same place:

post-3573-1221621116.jpg

post-3573-1221621117.jpg

post-3573-1221621124.jpg

post-3573-1221621144.jpg

Greta pics!! Isn't there internal ribs inside the swingarm and if so, did you hit any of the ribs? Looks like my next project.

Thanks again for the pics and instructions :icon_biggrin:

By the way, what brand of turn signals are on those Blackbirds? I like the looks of those.

Isn't there internal ribs inside the swingarm and if so, did you hit any of the ribs? Looks like my next project.

I went under the stiffening rib. I thought about going into the rib for strangth but unless you are prefectly in the center, the bit (and tap) will want to twist out.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this back up, but, was it not solid there, ie, the extrusion that is welded on for the axle go that far into the tubing???

I have not taken that out of one,,,yet, but figured it went into the tubing extrusion at least an inch.

When you drilled it, if you hit the rib inside, might be hard to be able to tell also. If you could tell it was open inside at that spot let me know.