CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID Upgrade from HIDseller@...

BigMig

I sent an email to hidseller@hotmail.com and he (Greg) replied that a package - consists of 2 sets of ballasts and bulbs for $170-$190, depending on color temp, and method of pmt.

Is there anything I'd want to ask hime before pulling the trigger? Tech specs, brands, any reason why I'd have trouble installing, etc???

Thanks, team.

Mike

The preferred brand is McCalaugh (sp). If you run a modulator on your high beam, you only need one set of bulb, balast, controller. You don't want to "flash to pass" your brights with an HID system since it takes a few seconds to warm up the bulbs.

The preferred brand is McCalaugh (sp). If you run a modulator on your high beam, you only need one set of bulb, balast, controller. You don't want to "flash to pass" your brights with an HID system since it takes a few seconds to warm up the bulbs.

How does the modulator work?

The modulator wires into your high beam, and flashes it during daylight hours... when it gets dark, there is a sensor that disables the modulator, so your high beam works as it should at night.

Is that what you meant? Or did you misread his post and think he was talking about a modulator for the HID? He wasn't... he was talking about having ONE HID set up on your low beam, and not needing the second HID for your high beam, as you'll want to use the standard bulb with a modulator.

The modulator wires into your high beam, and flashes it during daylight hours... when it gets dark, there is a sensor that disables the modulator, so your high beam works as it should at night.

Is that what you meant? Or did you misread his post and think he was talking about a modulator for the HID? He wasn't... he was talking about having ONE HID set up on your low beam, and not needing the second HID for your high beam, as you'll want to use the standard bulb with a modulator.

Oh, I get it I did missread his post. I was thinking that he was talking about a modulator for the HID.

They are $60-$70 all over ebay fyi, for two H7 kit.

Yep... Got a pair for something like $65 shipped from eBay. Put one in the low beam, and the other is still in the box... Still working fine at ~4k miles, but the GB ones I got lasted ~40k miles... We'll see how the new ones do...

Mike

A question has arisen. Do warmed up HID headlamps dim at the same lethargic pace that they brighten when they're cold?

My plan is to install HID lamps for both the low and high beam, then (knowing it'll take many seconds for the high beam to warm up) simply use the starter button to blink the low beam.

No Sacrifice,

Remove the wind screen 5 minutes? Remove the three nuts holding the dash, another 5, and rotate the dash out of the way.

Remove the low beam dust cover boot, and unlatch the bulb. Pull out the bulb and disconnect the electrical connector.

The HID I bought had a large rubber grommet on the wires. I cut the center of the grommet out to all it to pass over the bulb base. Installed the new HID bulb into the socket, slid the latch wire over and installed the dust cover.

Attached igniter wires to bulb, and tye wrapped the igniter to the nose support.

Pushed the two power wires from the igniter into the spade connectors in the OEM lamp socket and wrapped with tape.

Put the old H7 in the packaging of the new HID bulb and store in tail for a spare.

Reinstall the dash and wind screen.

Less than a hour with bi-focals and sweat from a 98 degree day.

Don't know why I waited so long.