CBR1100XX.org Forum

WINTER PREP

TFT

My Illinois bike is stored at my friend Doug's house in Schaumburg. The garage is not heated so the bike gets a bit cold in the winter.

Seeing as the battery went dead over the winter and had to be replaced I decided to do things a bit different. After putting STABIL in the tank and riding it for about 15 minutes I put the bike away and removed the battery. The battery is being stored in Doug's basement (which is heated). Will it still need to be recharged before I re-install it next spring? Should I put it on a trickle charger over the winter?

My Illinois bike is stored at my friend Doug's house in Schaumburg. The garage is not heated so the bike gets a bit cold in the winter.

Seeing as the battery went dead over the winter and had to be replaced I decided to do things a bit different. After putting STABIL in the tank and riding it for about 15 minutes I put the bike away and removed the battery. The battery is being stored in Doug's basement (which is heated). Will it still need to be recharged before I re-install it next spring? Should I put it on a trickle charger over the winter?

Yeah, put in on a trickle charger. Drain your float bowls, too.

How difficult is it to drain the float bowls?

Can it be done remotely (from Alaska)? :icon_biggrin:

How difficult is it to drain the float bowls?

Can it be done remotely (from Alaska)? :icon_biggrin:

It can be done from Alaska just about as easily as putting the battery on a trickle charger. :icon_wink:

Not sure how hard the drain screws are to access on an XX, as mine was FI. Someone else will have to answer that. Access notwithstanding, it's a matter of loosening a screw on each carb and then tightening it back up once the gas has drained out.

I would think the battery would be fine in the un-heated garage if it were on a trickle charger. Then if you buddy couldn't drain your carbs, he might be able to start it and let it idle for a few minutes every month or so. This would keep fresh gas in the bowls, and would be the next best thing IMHO.

Now...is he techy enough to install a battery? :icon_think:

I would think the battery would be fine in the un-heated garage if it were on a trickle charger. Then if you buddy couldn't drain your carbs, he might be able to start it and let it idle for a few minutes every month or so. This would keep fresh gas in the bowls, and would be the next best thing IMHO.

Now...is he techy enough to install a battery? :icon_think:

But then... starting the engine and letting it idle just fills the exhaust/etc with water and causes other problems. You're almost always better off just leaving it alone.

Tom:

If you put Stabil in the tank, and rode around for 15 minutes, the Stabil made it to the bowls of the carbs. While not ideal, I'm pretty sure it will be OK for the winter. I wouldn't sweat it. Look at it this way: You're going to have to have the bike taken to a dealer to have the bowls drained to hopefully avoid a problem that you shouldn't have. IF you DO have the problem, they have to do a little more work to pull the carbs and clean them, but based on the shop, you're either talking about another half hour or hour's labor based on how they charge for these things.

I'll be heading through Chicago on either Saturday on Sunday to come home from picking up my 954 in Indy. If you want... I could probably stop in and do the bowl draining if you really think you want it done.

Put the battery on a Battery Tender. They cost about $35 for a smal model, and it will keep the battery charged all winter. FWIW... I leave my bikes on the battery tender all winter here in WI, outside, in my unheated garage, and I've never had a battery problem with them in the spring.

But then... starting the engine and letting it idle just fills the exhaust/etc with water and causes other problems. You're almost always better off just leaving it alone.

Ahhh...Very good point.

Well, I suppose he could always pin it to the rev limiter for about 15 minutes...that'll be sure to get rid of that pesky water. :icon_redface:

You should be fine...definitely do NOT have it started unless it gets to operating temperature for around 10-15 minutes. Moisture causes problems ( as stated above) unless full operating temp is reached...

Beside my three bikes, I have stored cars for over 30 years that some don't get started for months on end. I do use Sta-Bil but have found that if I also add SeaFoam (not a lot) the gas in the carbs stay better after long term storage.

+1 for Seafoam. Use it in all the bikes (FI and Carbed) The Valk has six carbs and I have never had a problem come Spring. I also take the batteries out, store them inside and keep them on a trickle charger.